Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
wdewd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottling questions

I am looking for some glass bottles but not sure which kind i should get or from were for that matter. I will be ordering online since there isnt a Brew store within 100 miles of me *U.P. of michigan...*

which type or size would you guys recommend, i will also be ordering a capping machine as well.

using a mr beer kit so only need enough bottles for 2gallons of beer, but i will be upgrading to 5gallons batches soon, probably in the winter.

thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Any pop-top/pry off (not screw off) type beer bottles work. I would suggest you go buy a case of your favorite beer that comes in nice brown bottles that are pry-off. Save on shipping, plus they come with beer inside. Bonus!

Also, I really like my bench capper. Several friends borrowed it once to try it out, and subsequently went out and bought their own. Personal opinion - spend the extra 20 or whatever on the bench capper.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I love my bench capper. It will cap twist offs, no problem. I broke a few bottle necks with the wing capper that came in my kit.

Any advise offered after 10:00p.m. should be regarded as questionable
I can't brew until something is empty

Old 10-17-2009, 04:38 AM   #4
JacktheKnife
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bottling questions

mod edit- this thread was broken off another thread, to keep the conversation going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3n8 View Post
Any pop-top/pry off (not screw off) type beer bottles work. I would suggest you go buy a case of your favorite beer that comes in nice brown bottles that are pry-off. Save on shipping, plus they come with beer inside. Bonus!

Also, I really like my bench capper. Several friends borrowed it once to try it out, and subsequently went out and bought their own. Personal opinion - spend the extra 20 or whatever on the bench capper.

I was thinking the same thing.
Buying empty bottles?
...use old beer bottles.
...and drink the beer!
And I love my 'bench capper' too.

J. Knife

Old 10-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4958 Times on 3589 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Where are you? I have some bottles you can have.

Or, buy a case of Sam Adams or even Grolsch. Those bottles are great for reusing! The Grolsch especially- you don't even need a capper. You can just reclose the ceramic caps. It's nice to buy extra rubber grommets for the lids, though, if you can.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 10-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #6
yetanothersteve
Recipes 

Costco has half liter flip tops (Grolsch style but brown) for $24.99 including shipping plus you get 60 carbonation drops.

I was paying $3.49 to $3.99 for a half liter of Schwarzbier, Helles, Dunkel, Hefe-Weizen, or Doppelbock. I was ok with the beers, but I grew tired of inconsistency of the Helles and Hefe-Weizen, the darker beers handled the transit from Bavaria better, and I am more of an Export / Pils guy anyway.

Cost analysis of Costco / Brewcraft: $24.99 / 12 = 2.08
Half liter can of Bitburger: $1.25 + .05 deposit
Total = $3.38 ( i never take cans or six packs back, only cases, so the nickel is lost)
Carbonation drops are around a nickel each, so $3.33 is fair as well.

For me it makes sense to buy the bottles this way. I want the half liter and not 12oz. size since I have fewer to fill this way. I do not want to deal with a capper and caps and throwing away caps.

If you do not have or do not know someone with a Costco membership willing to order for you, be careful buying online from ebayers or stores with high shipping costs.

Some things I do not own: hydrometer, wort chiller.

Some things I do own: 2 stainless steel conical fermenters, stainless brewpot with welded ports for ball valve and thermometer, refractometer.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:31 PM   #7
wdewd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Where are you? I have some bottles you can have.

Or, buy a case of Sam Adams or even Grolsch. Those bottles are great for reusing! The Grolsch especially- you don't even need a capper. You can just reclose the ceramic caps. It's nice to buy extra rubber grommets for the lids, though, if you can.
Da soo

im going to look for some Grolsch, i have a huge Grolsch bottle in my basement like a 2-3 foot tall bottle would be fun to fill lol, but if i cant find any on the states side there's always canada

So ya do da U.P. Eh?

Old 10-17-2009, 10:44 PM   #8
wdewd
Recipes 

well i did a little digging in my basement and found 2 1.5L swing top grolsch bottles and 7 of the smaller 16oz bottles that i had brought home from montreal. unable to find the huge 2-3 footer but i think these bottles should be enough for 2 gallons of beer.

now all i need to do is find some gaskets for the 1.5L and for the smaller bottles

So ya do da U.P. Eh?

Quick Reply