Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling Question

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #11
Rebelz1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121 View Post
Yepp, its simple. Depending on the carb level you want (and the brand of tabs) you just drop them in each bottle, and rack into them. They dissolve, and the yeast consume the sugar and produce CO2!
Cool after work then it is off to the LHBS hopefuly they have some because they are small and really only order what they sell. The next closest store is 80 miles away!!! I think I would rather rack it back and forth then drive lol

Thanks again Shane
__________________
Rebelz1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #12
Rebelz1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico
Posts: 23
Default

Here is another question now. They didn't have any of those Carb tabs here in town so last night I racked my beer back into the primary to let it settle over night it still smelled like it did when I originally put it into the bottling bucket. But just a minute a go when we opened up the primary to go back to the bottling bucket it smells different now kind of like a yogurt or something sweet. I don't understand why would the smell change over night like that? Any thoughts on this?

Shane

__________________
Rebelz1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #13
MachineShopBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Montrose, MN
Posts: 1,053
Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

You probably off-gassed some CO2 while transferring and it is pushing more beer aromas up to your nose. Probably nothing to worry about.

__________________
MachineShopBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #14
Rebelz1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineShopBrewing View Post
You probably off-gassed some CO2 while transferring and it is pushing more beer aromas up to your nose. Probably nothing to worry about.
Ok just want to check on this before we went any further with it. Now on to bottling thanks!
__________________
Rebelz1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #15
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Between here and there, and everywhere
Posts: 12,058
Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Default

Do yourself a favor, get a decent scale and learn how to prime with sugars that you weigh (nake a priming solution). Depending on carb tabs, IMO, sets you up for more trouble. Like what you're already experiencing. Racking more than absolutely necessary is not a good idea. Once my brew gets yeast added its only racked either for aging (on oak mostly) or into the bottling buclet which already has the priming solution in it.

I calculate how much sugar is needed for a batch and make the solution for each brew. Its not something that's difficult to do. A quick boil, and cool, and its ready to go.

With the shortage of HBS in your area, you should become more self reliant. Buying sugar to prime with from the grocery store (I use Dememera sugar) means you'll probably never need to worry about not having any on hand or quickly purchased. Thw grocery store I visit actually had it on sale last week, so I picked up extra. I'm good for at least the next 24+ batches.

__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
Golddiggie is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #16
Rebelz1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Do yourself a favor, get a decent scale and learn how to prime with sugars that you weigh (nake a priming solution). Depending on carb tabs, IMO, sets you up for more trouble. Like what you're already experiencing. Racking more than absolutely necessary is not a good idea. Once my brew gets yeast added its only racked either for aging (on oak mostly) or into the bottling buclet which already has the priming solution in it.

I calculate how much sugar is needed for a batch and make the solution for each brew. Its not something that's difficult to do. A quick boil, and cool, and its ready to go.

With the shortage of HBS in your area, you should become more self reliant. Buying sugar to prime with from the grocery store (I use Dememera sugar) means you'll probably never need to worry about not having any on hand or quickly purchased. Thw grocery store I visit actually had it on sale last week, so I picked up extra. I'm good for at least the next 24+ batches.
Well thanks for the reply! But apparently you didn't read my first post or even the first page! Before you go and start blasting ppl about not knowing what they are doing you might read a little first!!!! Granted this is about my 11th batch so I may be a NOOB in your mind

I did as the instructions said and put into a secondary that just happened to be a bottling because my other buckets are full. I didn't think about how I was going to add the sugar for priming at the time. So as mentioned in the FIRST Page of this thread was either rack it back and forth to add the priming sugar or get some carb tabs! COuldn't get the tabs so the racking was my only option!
Oh and I have TWO SCALES thank you one is a 20lbs and the other is a 2lbs scale so I think I am covered there!!!!!
__________________

Last edited by Rebelz1; 06-04-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Rebelz1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #17
MachineShopBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Montrose, MN
Posts: 1,053
Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

Quote:
Well thanks for the reply! But apparently you didn't read my first post or even the first page! Before you go and start blasting ppl about not knowing what they are doing you might read a little first!!


Hah! you beat me to it!
__________________
MachineShopBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 05:47 AM   #18
musick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ca
Posts: 100
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelz1 View Post
I have stirred GENTLY with a spoon before and the last 2 batches that I bottled took about 5 or so weeks to clear in the bottle so if I can I'm going to stay away from this.
I would say you didnt stir enough then.

Normally, I add the boiled priming sugar to my bucket and siphon the 2ndary on top if it. Sometimes I stir with the cane - sometimes not.

Adding the sugar after the transfer should not make a difference as long as you stirred enough to see a whirlpool effect.
__________________
musick is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #19
kpr121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,778
Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by musick View Post
I would say you didnt stir enough then.

Normally, I add the boiled priming sugar to my bucket and siphon the 2ndary on top if it. Sometimes I stir with the cane - sometimes not.

Adding the sugar after the transfer should not make a difference as long as you stirred enough to see a whirlpool effect.
If he stirred more, wouldn't it cause more sediment to be brought up, thus making it even hard to clear as he stated was the problem. He didnt mention anything about not being carbed, just that the beer was not clear.

OP, another option you could have had was to make your priming solution, then calculate the amount of liquid needed per bottle, and add it to each. You would need something accurate like a pipette or small graduated cylinder, but it could work.

But if I were you I would have done the same thing, rack it to your primary bucket/carboy. If you dont want to rack again, you could always hook the bottling wand up to the end of the racking tubing, and bottle directly from there?
__________________
ADD ME on GOOGLE+
Primary: Nugget Nectar 2014
Kegged:

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?
kpr121 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bottling question cbsdaddy Bottling/Kegging 3 01-30-2011 04:16 PM
Bottling Question NorsemenRugby58 Bottling/Kegging 6 06-13-2010 11:44 AM
Bottling Question NorsemenRugby58 Bottling/Kegging 6 07-30-2009 03:31 AM
Another Bottling Question Displaced MassHole Bottling/Kegging 4 08-19-2008 06:35 PM
bottling question Murph Bottling/Kegging 7 08-06-2008 01:48 PM