Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
Rebelz1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottling Question

Here is my trouble that I have as per the kit instruction the FG leveled out after 11 days and then it say's to rack to a secondary for 2 weeks then bottle! That is tonight.

Now my thought process at the time of transfer from primary to secondary was to just put it in my bottling bucket and then after 2 weeks go strait to the bottle! I got to thinking last night, how am I going to add the sugar to the beer for priming? To the bottles? I really really don't want to put the sugar in every single bottle again! That is such a PITA!

Is there another way to prime the bucket instead of the bottles? I don't want to move it to the primary and then back to the bottling bucket again just to add the sugar then there goes the 2 weeks of clarifying.

Any advice would be helpful
Thanks Shane

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

If you carefully rack it into the primary, keeping your racking cane above the sediment, you should still have clear beer. Then, clean out your bottling bucket, sanitize, and rack back into it. Be careful not to splash the beer, or else you will introduce oxygen which will make your beer stale.

Most people on here will not recommend that you prime in bottles. You could have uneven carbonation and possibly bottle bombs.

Another point I'd like to make, somewhat unrelated to your bottling issue, is that alot of us do not rack to secondary unless you are dry-hopping or adding fruit or something (some dont secondary for these cases either). You also want to ignore most of those instructions that come with your kit. You did the right thing in checking FG. That is the only way to tell your beer is attenuated. For most normal gravity ales, 3-4 weeks in primary, then bottle is usually good. The beer actually benefits from sitting on the yeast cake for a few weeks after you reach FG.

if you leave the beer in primary, you wouldnt end up in the predicament you are in now.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 06-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Just leave it in the fermentation bucket for another week or so and bottle. Is the beer clear at all? If it is and tastes good and FG is stable you could bottle it right away if you want. There is no need to rack to another fermentor to clarify.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
kpr121
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineShopBrewing View Post
Just leave it in the fermentation bucket for another week or so and bottle. Is the beer clear at all? If it is and tastes good and FG is stable you could bottle it right away if you want. There is no need to rack to another fermentor to clarify.
The problem is introducing the priming sugar, if he adds it to the bottling bucket (which currently holds his beer), he wont be able to mix it thoroughly without resuspending all the yeast.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:

Old 06-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
The problem is introducing the priming sugar, if he adds it to the bottling bucket (which currently holds his beer), he wont be able to mix it thoroughly without resuspending all the yeast.

I see. I misread and thought he was debating whether to rack it over to his bottling bucket or not.

You could always pick up some carb tabs and drop those into each bottle. Not too difficult that way. Or sanitize a spoon and GENTLY stir in the priming solution.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #6
Rebelz1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121 View Post
If you carefully rack it into the primary, keeping your racking cane above the sediment, you should still have clear beer. Then, clean out your bottling bucket, sanitize, and rack back into it. Be careful not to splash the beer, or else you will introduce oxygen which will make your beer stale.

Most people on here will not recommend that you prime in bottles. You could have uneven carbonation and possibly bottle bombs.

Another point I'd like to make, somewhat unrelated to your bottling issue, is that alot of us do not rack to secondary unless you are dry-hopping or adding fruit or something (some dont secondary for these cases either). You also want to ignore most of those instructions that come with your kit. You did the right thing in checking FG. That is the only way to tell your beer is attenuated. For most normal gravity ales, 3-4 weeks in primary, then bottle is usually good. The beer actually benefits from sitting on the yeast cake for a few weeks after you reach FG.

if you leave the beer in primary, you wouldnt end up in the predicament you are in now.
Thank you for the reply!
And I was trying not to do this but if I have to then hey WTH Lesson well learned right! I was just following the instructions as I do on all the things I start that are new to me then make ajustments for the next time. My first all grain

Old 06-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #7
kpr121
Recipes 

Carb tabs do work pretty well. If you have a LHBS nearby, I would just buy these instead of all the extra racking. Just be careful when you go to dispense from the bottling bucket. I would put the bucket at your 'bottling station' the night before, allowing the sediment that gets kicked up to settle back down before the next day. The first few bottles may be a bit cloudy, but that should all settle in the bottom of the bottle anyways. Mark the first 6 pack and drink em last.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:

Old 06-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #8
Rebelz1
Recipes 

Quote:
I see. I misread and thought he was debating whether to rack it over to his bottling bucket or not.

You could always pick up some carb tabs and drop those into each bottle. Not too difficult that way. Or sanitize a spoon and GENTLY stir in the priming solution.
I have stirred GENTLY with a spoon before and the last 2 batches that I bottled took about 5 or so weeks to clear in the bottle so if I can I'm going to stay away from this.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #9
Rebelz1
Recipes 

Quote:

Carb tabs???? Hmmmmmm...... sounds easy!

Old 06-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #10
kpr121
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelz1 View Post
Carb tabs???? Hmmmmmm...... sounds easy!
Yepp, its simple. Depending on the carb level you want (and the brand of tabs) you just drop them in each bottle, and rack into them. They dissolve, and the yeast consume the sugar and produce CO2!

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:

Quick Reply