Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling in Perrier bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 04:17 AM   #11
Face Eater
I brew beer....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubrewer82 View Post
I'm guessing that using a newly emptied Jameson bottle won't work either? I'm just about to start bottling my Pecan Pie Porter and I think i'm going to be a couple bottles short.

I just finished a bottle of Jameson while I was prepping my bottling space and I was thinking about filling it with primed porter, but I would hate for it to explode.

I might just fill it anyways and put it inside a bucket with a lid, and see what happens to it. If it explodes it will be mildly entertaining (assuming i'm drunk when I find it) and if it doesn't, it will be something I didn't know before.

If i'm really lucky, it might add an interesting flavor to the porter since it has a little bit of Jameson left in the bottom.
A Jameson bottle wasn't designed to hold a carbonated beverage so I would say it will explode. Maybe it won't but my guess would be it won't hold carbonation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 01:00 AM   #12
BenRuss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Sorry for the late reply but yes, those are the 450ml version of the bottle of which I speak. They take the standard plastic PET bottle c

Old 01-11-2013, 01:03 AM   #13
BenRuss
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

[QUOTE="BenRuss"]Sorry for the late reply but yes, those are the 450ml version of the bottle of which I speak. They take the standard plastic PET bottle caps, as long as you look for the ones with the completely flat bottom inside. Can't get the ones with the little plastic ridge inside to sit on the edge of the plastic bottles (if you know what I mean. I will take pictures tonight and post. I bottled and bottle pasturized all using these bottles and caps with no issues. They are pretty thick!

Old 01-11-2013, 01:05 AM   #14
BenRuss
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Sorry hit send too soon. I will send pics of both styles of LBS PET bottle caps tonight. One works, one doesn't. I back sweetened, and then bottle pasturized a cider in mine without issue.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #15
BenRuss
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Here are the photos of. The caps I have. The cap on the right works without any problems at all. Completely flat top, plastic disc gasket and matching threads! The one in the middle has a flat top inside except for a small circular ridge that lines up with he top edge of the bottle rim. The tighter you put the lid on, the more the ridge squishes to create a seal. The one on the left has a ridge that lines up to go inside the lip of the plastic pet bottle to enhance the seal. It unfortunately also lines up with the top edge of the glass bottle because the glass is thicker. This means the lid goes on crocked and squishes the rid I half, making no seal and the lid only hold onto about half a thread or so.
Thus ends my clinic on plastic bottle lids...lol.

image-3949873604.jpg   image-1770242759.jpg   image-3252568260.jpg   image-1838258743.jpg  

Old 01-13-2013, 06:15 AM   #16
xjbobbin82
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRuss View Post
Thus ends my clinic on plastic bottle lids...lol.
I appreciate it bud! Next time I'm at my LHBS i'll take a look at what they have.. I actually just picked up a hand capper and some caps today but I like the idea of reusable caps. Plus the perrier bottles are kinda neat looking

Old 01-13-2013, 06:25 AM   #17
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 964 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

I bottled some cider in these same bottles about 4 months ago with enough priming sugar for 3 volumes. Not bottle bombs, and lots of fizzy goodness when they are opened. I've also managed to reuse the caps that came with the bottles 1 time. After that, the metal is a little distorted from tight recapping and they don't seal consistently.

It should be noted that these bottles don't fit in a standard wine rack. So if you ever decide to go to typical corked wine bottles, the perrier bottles will still need to be stored separately.

And, as always, have nice day.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:32 AM   #18
xjbobbin82
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
I bottled some cider in these same bottles about 4 months ago with enough priming sugar for 3 volumes. Not bottle bombs, and lots of fizzy goodness when they are opened. I've also managed to reuse the caps that came with the bottles 1 time. After that, the metal is a little distorted from tight recapping and they don't seal consistently.

It should be noted that these bottles don't fit in a standard wine rack. So if you ever decide to go to typical corked wine bottles, the perrier bottles will still need to be stored separately.

And, as always, have nice day.
How long did you let them carbonate? And did you cold crash or pasteurize?

Old 01-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #19
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 964 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjbobbin82 View Post
How long did you let them carbonate? And did you cold crash or pasteurize?
Neither, I let them go. They are now very tasty.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #20
BenRuss
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

*UPDATE* I bought a couple of soda pops last night and noticed that the caps looked to have short threads and I instantly thought, man, those look perfect for my growing collection of Perrier bottles (17 750ml bottles) and YES they are perfect. The treads and the caps themselves seem to be a much harder plastic then LHBS PET caps as well, so you can reef them on tight and they don't seem to distort. Here are picks, maybe raid your office or neighbourhood recycling bins...

image-2795754308.jpg   image-3847969536.jpg  

Quick Reply