Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling , by now you would think there is a better way

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #11
JeepDiver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prionburger
What takes me more time is cleaning bottles. I wish there were a faster way. Most of my time spent bottling is rinsing the oxyclean off, making sure no detergents get in the beer.
Just be sure to rinse the bottles out as soon as you pour a beer. At the very least put water in them if you can't rinse right away. Then let them drain, on bottling day a few squirts of starsan VIA vintor and you are good to go. No need to oxy the bottles if you rinse them when you empty them
Old 07-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #12
KISS Brew
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDiver View Post
Just be sure to rinse the bottles out as soon as you pour a beer. At the very least put water in them if you can't rinse right away. Then let them drain, on bottling day a few squirts of starsan VIA vintor and you are good to go. No need to oxy the bottles if you rinse them when you empty them
This is what I do. It's painless and foolproof. I cannot recommend this enough.

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #13
duckredbeard
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr
Anyway...I'm betting the whole bottling thing disappears from the commercial scene within ten years. Only bombers or larger will exist in glass
Cheers!
Some states still don't allow beer to be sold in containers larger than 12 fl. oz.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #14
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1299 Times on 948 Posts
Likes Given: 597

I also do the rinse after pouring and drain then place them back in the case, and follow with some starsan on bottling day. If the bottles have been sitting a little long and have debris or have gotten manky somehow I throw them in a soapless dishwasher for a sanatize cycle while I move the bucket to a counter, let it settle, transfer to bottling bucket and get everything ready for the bottling ritual. I dont see the bottle cleaning as being too taxing. Now, delabeling can be a PITA, especially when you act like an idiot and try to cut your finger off with a razor blade...

Old 07-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #15
jgerard
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Once every 2 days or so I rinse and shake all my used bottles with water and put em to the right of the sink, then dump the last few drops of water out the next time I do it and throw em i n boxes. Only takes a couple secs, I never wash bottles with cleaners, and I never get mold. A quick 4 second shake with a bit of starsan and I'm ready to go (one in each hand). Today I got my bottles all sanned before my siphon was even done. (I don't mean to brag, but I think I'm gettin pretty good at my sanitation practices). =)

Old 07-16-2012, 03:02 AM   #16
BetterSense
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think that people who don't brush their bottles are just deluding themselves that the bottles are clean. No matter how clean the bottles look, there is always a thin film of foggy yeast and beer residue in them. Sometimes you can't even see it, but if you stick a toothbrush in the bottle and scrub a spot on the side, then you can see by contrast how it's there. I wish that I could just rinse and re-sanitize, but I have never seen a bottle that didn't come cleaner by brushing it. Ergo, the bottle was not clean before brushing.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:25 AM   #17
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1024 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 2730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
If I bottled I'd love to have the one this guy made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...3Xfe4lvGk#t=9s
This is too cool!

Old 07-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #18
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 285 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 765

http://www.vigoltd.com/ropp-capping.php

I guess it just depends on how much your willing to spend

Old 07-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #19
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
I think that people who don't brush their bottles are just deluding themselves that the bottles are clean. No matter how clean the bottles look, there is always a thin film of foggy yeast and beer residue in them. Sometimes you can't even see it, but if you stick a toothbrush in the bottle and scrub a spot on the side, then you can see by contrast how it's there. I wish that I could just rinse and re-sanitize, but I have never seen a bottle that didn't come cleaner by brushing it. Ergo, the bottle was not clean before brushing.
If you rinse the bottle out well and shake it right after pouring I promise you there is nothing left on the side.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #20
BetterSense
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sure, if you rinse it out with hot lye followed by hydrochloric acid, maybe. But not plain water or oxyclean or star-san.

Yall must have special space-age bottles, because all of mine (of many different brands) LOOK perfectly clean after rinsing, but if you actually check closely (like with a flashlight), and rub the inside with some kind of brush, you will see that there is a leftover film there. Is it hurting the beer? Maybe not. Are the bottles clean ENOUGH? Maybe. But they are not clean and it's not good to spread bad advice. The criteria for if a bottle is clean is not "it's clean if I can't see big chunks in the bottom".

Quick Reply