Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Bottling/Kegging (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/)
-   -   Bottling , by now you would think there is a better way (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-now-you-would-think-there-better-way-341363/)

BronxBrew 07-14-2012 01:49 AM

Bottling , by now you would think there is a better way
 
Crown caps to be persice. Are we really only limited by the plastic hand cappers and bench cappers? Why hasn't someone come out with a better capping system? Something that last and will not break or crack bottles. Something that will last.

Airborneguy 07-14-2012 01:56 AM

What's your idea? Personally, the most common system for homebrewers to me is incredibly simple, cheap, quick and fits our needs perfectly. Capping is certainly not an aspect of bottling that I'm inclined to complain about.

lowtones84 07-14-2012 02:01 AM

Yeah, I've never had a problem with my good ol' red plastic capper. I know lots of other people have, but I've had mine for almost two years (I know that's not -that- long) and it has bottled several batches of beer, sometimes with inexperienced friends operating it.

BronxBrew 07-14-2012 02:02 AM

Not complaining, just risking bottles full of brew that took time to make. Isn't there a decent made capper out there that will last and not break bottles on occasion ?

day_trippr 07-14-2012 02:10 AM

I use one of these
https://bellsbeer.com/store/product_...51624_zoom.JPG

Never damaged a bottle in hundreds of cases.

I still use it on occasion when I need some travelin' beer. Like tomorrow, we're going to putt down the Charles out into Bahstin Hahbah and need some brews for the boat.

Anyway...I'm betting the whole bottling thing disappears from the commercial scene within ten years. Only bombers or larger will exist in glass, everything else will be cans. Only home brewers will still use bottles.

Might want to start hoarding empties and stocking up on crowns right away ;)

Cheers!

Dan 07-14-2012 02:12 AM

If I bottled I'd love to have the one this guy made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...3Xfe4lvGk#t=9s

JeepDiver 07-14-2012 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BronxBrew
Not complaining, just risking bottles full of brew that took time to make. Isn't there a decent made capper out there that will last and not break bottles on occasion ?

What are you doing, or what kind of bottles are you using? I have never broke a bottle with my wing capper

passedpawn 07-14-2012 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BronxBrew (Post 4250100)
Crown caps to be persice. Are we really only limited by the plastic hand cappers and bench cappers? Why hasn't someone come out with a better capping system? Something that last and will not break or crack bottles. Something that will last.

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/gl...op-closure.jpg

BetterSense 07-14-2012 02:20 AM

Quote:

Anyway...I'm betting the whole bottling thing disappears from the commercial scene within ten years. Only bombers or larger will exist in glass, everything else will be cans. Only home brewers will still use bottles.
Fine with me. Twist-off bottles are worthless for homebrewing, and cans are better than bottles anyway because they don't break as easy and they keep out light.

I'm not sure how you come to see this trend, though.

Prionburger 07-14-2012 06:37 AM

What takes me more time is cleaning bottles. I wish there were a faster way. Most of my time spent bottling is rinsing the oxyclean off, making sure no detergents get in the beer.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:44 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.