Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling with normal drinks bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2008, 06:59 PM   #11
ozzysmygod
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

:Bump:

Im confused as to why you speak of lagers taking a while to brew, where as this one is bottleable after 6 days. The instructions just say leave it in the bottles till it goes clear, then drink. Are the kits designed to be faster?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2008, 07:07 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4786 Times on 3481 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Where do you live, and what kit did you get? (I believe that you are not in the US, and that you are of legal age where you live, correct? ) That will help us figure this out!

Edit- well, here's some reading on brewing that will really help in the meantime: howtobrew.com

The reason we say lagers take longer is because normally they are cold fermented and then cold stored for months. But your kit could be a "lager style beer" and wouldn't require that. I really suggest reading the link I posted so that we are speaking about the same things.

I think your kit instructions were lacking, and if you bottle six days after you start, you may very well have bottle bombs. If you're not supposed to ferment in your dorm room, I think that they probably don't want bottles blowing up, either?

Old 01-14-2008, 08:35 AM   #13
ozzysmygod
Recipes 

I am 19 years old, and the drinking age in the UK is 18. I also believe in the UK, any age can brew beer, and drink it, just they cannot purchase it from shops or pubs/bars, although Im not sure.

The kit I bought was a Youngs Brew Kit -

http://www.brew-it-yourself.co.uk/sh...124bbf9a82fb9c

And no, bottle bombs would be a Badddd Idea

Thanks again for your help

Old 01-14-2008, 01:20 PM   #14
fermenator
Recipes 

That looks like a canned kit. If im not mistaken, all canned kits produced are ales.

I had a similar question on this forum a few weeks back when I recieved a "Bock" kit for Xmas. A bock is traditionally a lager, however if you look at the yeast strain that comes with the kit, it is indeed an ale yeast. So basically I made a bock "lager style" beer with ale yeast. Turned out great!

Can you post what the canned kit in that beerkit is?

Old 01-14-2008, 01:38 PM   #15
Dycokac
Recipes 

Hydrometers should not run more than $5 and are invaluable, best way to prevent bottle bombs

Old 01-14-2008, 03:44 PM   #16
ozzysmygod
Recipes 

The Tin is one that came with the kit, its simplay called

"40 Pint Lager Kit""Brew Buddy" and is manufactured by "Young's U Brew"

The ingrediants are malted Barley, and brewers Yeast

Old 01-14-2008, 04:42 PM   #17
fermenator
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzysmygod
The Tin is one that came with the kit, its simplay called

"40 Pint Lager Kit""Brew Buddy" and is manufactured by "Young's U Brew"

The ingrediants are malted Barley, and brewers Yeast
Is this the same kit? http://tinyurl.com/2sbpr6

It does indeed say "lager yeast" and they recommend a warm area 18-21°C. (64.4 ºF - 69.8 ºF ) which sounds to me more like ale yeast temps, they may be using the word lager a bit to generally. Either way if you follow the instructions your beer should be fine.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:56 PM   #18
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzysmygod
:Bump:

Im confused as to why you speak of lagers taking a while to brew, where as this one is bottleable after 6 days. The instructions just say leave it in the bottles till it goes clear, then drink. Are the kits designed to be faster?
No the kits are not designed to be faster but they often do write the instructions to produce beer quicker so that it reduces impatience in inexperienced brewers. The brewers on this forum are giving you recommendations to produce better beer than the quick and dirty instructions on your can.

If you are fermenting at room temp then you are making an Ale not a lager. The kit probably does use a clean fermenting ale yeast and so the results should be similar to a lager. Lagers require a cold ferment and a longer clearing time for best results, both of which require some type of temperature control.

I would say just wait on your bottles or two weeks after brewing, which ever comes later. And then bottle as instructed. Yes you can bottle in soda bottles, but not water/sport drinks bottles, however your beer will benefit from a longer fermentation time.

If you want to produce better beer, read http://howtobrew.com and continue reading and asking questions on this forum. There is alot of great information to help you produce some great beers.

Craig

Old 01-14-2008, 10:50 PM   #19
ozzysmygod
Recipes 

Yep that was the kit, except my hydrometer broke, new one arrives 2moro, as do the bottles, rang up and hastled the company, there credit card system went down so my payment was marked as unpaid, although I had indeed paid! So everythings sorted. thanks for your help!

Quick Reply