Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling a Lager - Will I need to add yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremlock View Post
I was talking about DPBISME comment about adding yeast before he carbs. So I was wondering if he was adding it for other reasons then carbonation as you'd carb it with co2 in the keg right? Unless people condition in kegs which I've never heard of.
The ONLY reason folks add more yeast is to carb beer, if they think there's a carbing issue. Which usually is only necessarily in instances, - 1) After an extended time in a secondary or lager, which two months, no matter what you might think, hardly qualifies, and 2) In a high gravity beer such as a barleywine, where there is a possibility of the yeast being too tired or sluggish to finish the job in a reasonable amount of time. I've had high gravity beers and ciders take 6 months or more to carb up, which too me is fine, because I know and expect high gravity things to take time, not just to carb but to condition and the flavors to merge.

But adding more yeast will allow it to carb faster and easier.

For my 17.5% abv barleywine that will have aged in various things for three years before bottling including an oak barrel I will be adding champagne yeast along with the priming sugar. Even though it's going to bottle condition and carb for three years, they environment is so inhospitable for yeast, and the yeast in there is so tired it will be a good.

But for normal situations, like you're beer. There simply is no need.

I've bottled beers that sat in primary for 6 or more months and never thought to add yeast, and they carbed just fine.

There's no "aestetic" reason for adding more yeast, because honestly, you will have MORE yeast in your bottles by adding some, than if you bottled with what is in there already, which means more sediment.

After a month or two in primary, which is my average, closer to 2 months, my beer carbs fine and is perfectly clear, with the barest hint of sediment.

As to kegs, yes, some folks do like to naturally carb in kegs....but normally they just add sugar, again, regardless of whether it is kegs or bottles, there really is plenty of yest in there after only 2 months, to do the job.

But like I also said earlier, if you feel the need, then do it....just remember, you're doing it to make you feel better, not that the beer needs it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #12
Kremlock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

And being an Ale yeast it does not matter that you are putting it in a Lager? Is there a benefit to the ale yeast vs lager yeast.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #13
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
And being an Ale yeast it does not matter that you are putting it in a Lager? Is there a benefit to the ale yeast vs lager yeast.
I'm confused by what you're asking.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4451 Times on 3240 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
No, it doesn't matter since the flavor profile of the beer is set already and there is such a tiny amount of fermentation that takes place in the bottles that there is no flavor impact.

You can use lager yeast if you want, but most people carb their beers at room temperatures and ale yeast is perfect for that. Nottingham is a very "clean" ale yeast, especially in the 60s, so it works great for bottle carbing.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #15
Kremlock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't want to do anything for myself, I want to do it for the beer.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #16
Kremlock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I'm confused by what you're asking.
Yooper answered the question. I was wondering why would someone add Ale yeast to a lager when they are carbing it vs using more lager yeast.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #17
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
I don't want to do anything for myself, I want to do it for the beer.
uh, Ok....

A lot of times the best thing we can do for our beer......is not to do anything. A lot of new brewers think they have to "futz and fiddle" with things. When in reality we usually just have to step away and let the yeast do what they've been doing for millions of years. They're in charge and they are the experts. The usually don't need any help or interference from us.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #18
Kremlock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That makes a lot of sense. Good to know.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #19
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 637

I lagered for a little over two months and bottled without adding yeast and no issues. I was worried after I researched if I needed it but now I go forward with my lagers knowing its fine

Old 11-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #20
Kremlock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks everyone, good to know.

Quick Reply