Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling a Lager - Will I need to add yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
Kremlock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bottling a Lager - Will I need to add yeast

Hey all,

I have a Maybock that I've made and has lagered for 4 nice long months at 2C. I figure that most of the yeast has fallen out by now so I was wondering if I need to add more yeast when I'll bottle the beer.

OG: 1.065
FG: 1.009
Yeast WLP833

3 weeks in primary, d-rest for 3 days, then 4 months lagering.

If I need to add more yeast, how much and which kind?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

If it's under 6 months I wouldn't worry about it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
Kremlock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know that applies to ales, but you don't think that the long period in a cold environment (2 celcius) would make most of the yeast drop out?

Old 11-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremlock View Post
I know that applies to ales, but you don't think that the long period in a cold environment (2 celcius) would make most of the yeast drop out?
Regardless of whether it's an ale or lager, no matter how much we try there is STILL billions of cells of yeast floating around in out beer, UNLESS we filter it. If you feel you need to, go for it, it won't hurt it either way. I've lagered for as long as you and didn't add it and it carbed fine. But if you want to insure it, then go for it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
Kremlock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ya this is my first lager so was not sure if there were some differences.

I made an IPA a few months ago that I crash cooled before bottling to get some sediments out of suspencion. It never carbed properly so I always thought that the cold had taken too much of the yeast out. I guess it's some other issue.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I did a Kolsch that I lagered for a couple weeks, I added half a pack of Nottingham to each keg (2) and had great results.

It is a cheap way to do it and takes out the worries.

DPB

Old 11-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
Kremlock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I take it you add the yeast not for carbing issues but for flavour and look?

Old 11-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremlock View Post
I take it you add the yeast not for carbing issues but for flavour and look?
????

You add the yeast if you think there's a carbing issue. But like I said, unless you've had the beer lagering for 6-months or more, and really over a year, you really don't need to.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
Kremlock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was talking about DPBISME comment about adding yeast before he carbs. So I was wondering if he was adding it for other reasons then carbonation as you'd carb it with co2 in the keg right? Unless people condition in kegs which I've never heard of.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4278 Times on 3117 Posts
Likes Given: 825

If I have a super clear lager, I often add a bit of yeast at bottling just to ensure quick and complete carbonation.

I boil up my priming sugar in the water, cool it, and then add 1/3 package of dry nottingham yeast (or S05, but I really like nottingham for this). Stir that, and put it in your bottling bucket and then rack the beer into it.

It may not be strictly necessary, but it is one of those "can't hurt, and will probably help" things for me.

Quick Reply