Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling from Keg Using Perlick 545 Flow Control Faucet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
Skipper74
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Bottling from Keg Using Perlick 545 Flow Control Faucet

Has anyone tried bottling from a keg using the Perlick 545 Flow Control Faucet (and not using a beer gun)? I assume that the 545 may be helpful, as it would help to eliminate foaming, but I wanted to see anyone had any experience with it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
beertastic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I have a couple of times. I attached some tubing directly to the tap and turned down the flow to very low (but did not adjust psi), filling from the bottom. I got more foam than the biermuncher technique, but not too much, maybe 1 finger worth. I would think you would probably get less foam if you also turned down psi, but I didn't try.

I also noticed air bubbles coming out of the tubing along with the beer. Not sure if this would cause oxidation issues. Also, the tubing was wider than my normal siphon tubing so I wasn't able to attach my bottle filler. Without the bottle filler I find it difficult to judge when to pull out the tubing for a perfect fill height.

All in all it worked well, though I will stick with the bmbf technique for beers that I don't plan on consuming within the next couple of days. Let me know if you come up with a way to attach a thinner bottle filler/racking cane to the wider tubing that fits on the tap.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
DrHops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There's a local craft brew store in Alpharetta Ga that sells growlers and uses these taps exclusively without tubing to fill their growlers. They work great, they are allowed to give out 3 each once ounce samples and using these taps makes it possible. The name is Blind Murphy Craft Brew Store if anyone is interested in checking them out.

On Deck:

1. Dragonfly Wiz (hard lemonade)
2. Dragonfly Blood (strawberry hard lemonade)
3. Alpine Spring clone
4. IIPA
5. Belma S.M.A.S.H.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
Skipper74
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I tried attaching a racking cane this weekend, but think the hassle was probably not worth it. I will try bottling directly from the faucet next.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
JoeSpartaNJ
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have these faucets and love them. I was wondering if anyone was bottling directly from them or not.

I do not see the harm of oxidation being an issue if the bottles are consumed quickly enough.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSpartaNJ View Post
I have these faucets and love them. I was wondering if anyone was bottling directly from them or not.

I do not see the harm of oxidation being an issue if the bottles are consumed quickly enough.
If filled properly, oxidation should be a non-issue. The most recommended method for longer term use is to make sure there's CO2 bubbles all the way to the top of the bottle. This involves knocking the bottom of the bottle on a table as you're about to cap, which will release CO2 all the way to the top. Cap onto the CO2.....voila, no oxidation issues.

Primary #1 (SS Brew Bucket):
Primary #2 (SS 7G Chronical):
Primary #3 (Better Bottle): Rye Saison
Secondary #1: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #2: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #3: Gewurztraminer Kit
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Citra Black IPA
ON TAP: n/a
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA | Belgian Wit | Black IPA | Rye Saison | Hefeweizen

Old 09-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 37

purge the bottle with co2, fill directly from 545 faucet, and cap on foam and there you have it folks

I have a bottling wand attached to my co2 tank on a low pressure regulator so I can purge bottles quickly and easily that way.

-=Jason=-

Quick Reply