Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling from a Keg: Cold to Warm?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
zythe84
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottling from a Keg: Cold to Warm?

I recently kegged my first batch of beer, and then used the BMBF to bottle off a case, while serving the rest later that evening at a party. I have yet to purchase a kegerator, so I carbonated at room temperature at 30 psi for a couple weeks, then just chilled the whole keg down in an ice bath the day before bottling.

Everything worked great. The carbonation seemed fine. Foam wasn't a problem. The bottles went straight to the fridge.

I have two more batches that I will keg, that I am going to enter in the state fair. I realize that when bottling from a keg, it is ideal have your beer cold, so that more CO2 will stay dissolved, and you won't lose carbonation on the way from tap to bottle. However, I figure that when I turn my beers in to the fair judges, it will need to be at room temperature.

My question is, is it bad to bottle from a keg at, say 40 degrees, and then leave the bottles at room temp until I have to turn them in? Will this create any weird off-flavors in my beer, or should it be ok?

Or it is possible to bottle them while the beer is at room temp, and just leave them that way until I turn them in?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Zythe84

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2009, 09:20 PM   #2
SilverKing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zythe84 View Post
I recently kegged my first batch of beer, and then used the BMBF to bottle off a case, while serving the rest later that evening at a party. I have yet to purchase a kegerator, so I carbonated at room temperature at 30 psi for a couple weeks, then just chilled the whole keg down in an ice bath the day before bottling.

Everything worked great. The carbonation seemed fine. Foam wasn't a problem. The bottles went straight to the fridge.

I have two more batches that I will keg, that I am going to enter in the state fair. I realize that when bottling from a keg, it is ideal have your beer cold, so that more CO2 will stay dissolved, and you won't lose carbonation on the way from tap to bottle. However, I figure that when I turn my beers in to the fair judges, it will need to be at room temperature.

My question is, is it bad to bottle from a keg at, say 40 degrees, and then leave the bottles at room temp until I have to turn them in? Will this create any weird off-flavors in my beer, or should it be ok?

Or it is possible to bottle them while the beer is at room temp, and just leave them that way until I turn them in?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Zythe84
I bottle all my beers cold from the keg and most of them get stored "warm" until I chill to drink or enter in a comp. The reality of the competition circuit is your beer will probably warm up on the way to the comp and be chilled before judging, anyway.

I've submitted many beers to comp this way and never had any problems. Even snagged plenty of wins.

Last edited by SilverKing; 07-05-2009 at 09:25 PM.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:05 AM   #3
zythe84
Recipes 

Thanks SilverKing. Off to the KY State Fair it is then!

Old 07-06-2009, 04:07 AM   #4
SilverKing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zythe84 View Post
Thanks SilverKing. Off to the KY State Fair it is then!
good luck and have fun!

Quick Reply