bottling from a keg...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brendanb

Reaction score
i've tried searching, but haven't had luck finding info on this.

i have a kegerator setup coming this week. i still want to bottle at least 12.

is there any faq about how to do this?

sticky in bottling and kegging.. we no need a stinking beer gun It will teach you all you ever wanted to know

i looked into those beerguns, but ideally, i'd really just love to able to bottle from my faucet.

in the "stinking beergun" thread i saw that dude attach a nozzle to his perlick and was able to do it. i was super stoked to try that, except my new rig is coming with the new perlicks, and they don't have the switchable nozzle.

maybe i'll try jamming a hose over the nozzle and clamping it down.

Bottling from the faucet isn't likely going to work too well. Besides, how will you be sure it's completely sanitary. There's all kinds of gunk living in the faucet after the seal. We normally don't care because we drink the output immediately. If you get it in the bottle, it's going to go downhill from there.

that's a good point.

thank you.

i guess i just won't bottle for a few batches while i get the hang of kegging.

then, once i'm comfortable with the gear, i'll give bottling a whirl.

You could bottle 12 beers like normal, then put the rest in the keg. I read in another topic that someone suggested the carbonation drops if you are only doing a couple bottles. Cost is a little higher, but the mess and time is easier.

I have done both, used carb drops and bottling right from the faucet using the B< beergun method. Spray some starsan in the faucet before bottling, I've never had an issue, have had them bottled for a month or two before driinking.

I prefer bottling from the faucet ... no trub in the bottle.

I bottle from taps all the time. Here is a thread and video about it.

I have not experienced infection issues, even in beers over 8 months in the bottles. Note that I'm using forward sealing faucets (Perlick 425SS) and I spray out the nose of my taps with Star-San after each use. There's nowhere for bacteria to live like in a traditional faucet.

-Joe

Back