Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 01:53 AM   #1
Neomich
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottling Issue

I made a SNPA yesterday for my 3rd extract batch. In the past, I've done two wheat/wit beers and did a primary only then straight to bottles.

Since this is my first ale, I'd like to see what racking it over to a secondary would do in terms of clarifying. However, my secondary is currently holding 5 gallons of Apfelwein. The Apfelwein's hydrometer reading is at 1.010. I know it has a little more to go and it's already been 3 weeks. Here's what I'm considering doing:

Re-test the gravity on the AW next weekend, if it's still dropping then just leave everything as is. Repeat the next week and the week following.

If I do notice the gravity stabilizing in the AW, I'm considering bottling that up and racking over the SNPA to the carboy. However, if 3-4 weeks go by and the AW is still going, I'll just leave it (SNPA) in primary and go ahead and bottle it at the 4 week mark.

Anyone see any major flaws in this? Opinions? (Without getting into the primary vs secondary debate)

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2007, 02:28 AM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 572 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 208

Should be fine to do that (coming from a pro-secondary guy). If there's any way to do it, you could help to clarify the beer in the priamry if you could crash cool it. Put that bucket into a fridge at 37 degrees for 7-15 days, and your beer will clear up nicely.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:50 AM   #3
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Apfelwein should be ready to bottle at four weeks, but if you use your apple secondary for beer you can't make more apfelwein for a week or so, and you know that stuff takes a month. Personally, I would buy more juice and make another batch of apflewein and "pitch" on the yeast cake.

Quick Reply