Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling with honey?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2005, 04:00 AM   #1
Gordolordo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottling with honey?

I'd like to try bottling my beer with honey as the primer.

How does one go about doing this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2005, 04:25 AM   #2
Kephren

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordolordo
I'd like to try bottling my beer with honey as the primer.

How does one go about doing this?
Honey doesn't really ferment very well. I think you'd have to add yeast nutrient also. Anyhow, the priming sugar really shouldn't add much, if any, flavor to your beer.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:44 AM   #3
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

In my experience, you don't want to use honey as a priming sugar. It just doesn't ferment all that well compared to corn sugar and you gain no flavor out of it. Only time I did it was with a braggot and I would use corn sugar next time.

In addition to what Kephren said, you might want to hit it with another dose of yeast in hopes of actually getting some carbonation within a few months. But, really, there are other areas that you can exercise creativity to more benefit with less headache. Just MHO.

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 04-02-2005, 06:07 AM   #4
Gordolordo
Recipes 

Thanks for the information. I think I'll take your word for it.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
lagalaxy
Recipes 

This was really helpful. Cheers!

Old 02-09-2012, 12:00 AM   #6
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 600

I only bottle with honey and you will get a nice aroma and a hint of the flavor if you drink it young. I have no idea what they are talking about with fermenting as I have never had an issue carbing my beers.

3 tablespoons per gallon is the norm but I use 4 since some of the honey sticks to the spoon. Just add it to hot water (NOT boiling) and swirl it around a few times, again as it cools. Add it to the bucket then rack beer on top and bottle.

I wonder what the experience level of the above posters with honey is (not flaming just truly asking) as I have done 30+ batches with honey and get the exact opposite of what people post on here. I get a nice carbonation with an immediate aroma and a small taste on the front end. My recipe until now has no honey malt but I have started using it as sometimes the honey takes over the hop aroma at first, and I plan to do a "traditional" bottle carb to compare. Then again this is for my IIPA which is consumed rather young.

Orange blossom honey is my "secret weapon" with this, and I have tried them all (at least at a commercial market and organic stores)

Old 02-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #7
evwoller
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just bottled a batch with honey yesterday, honey is just fructose and glucose...

Old 02-09-2012, 01:22 AM   #8
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Also, honey ferments around 90% (beersmith uses this as their standard calculation). Since not all of it ferments, you do get a tiny amount of honey sitting in your bottles for over a month...it will mix and add to your beer. Try it and see how it works for you

Old 04-11-2012, 01:02 AM   #9
Punky_Brewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calichusetts View Post
I only bottle with honey and you will get a nice aroma and a hint of the flavor if you drink it young. I have no idea what they are talking about with fermenting as I have never had an issue carbing my beers.

3 tablespoons per gallon is the norm but I use 4 since some of the honey sticks to the spoon. Just add it to hot water (NOT boiling) and swirl it around a few times, again as it cools. Add it to the bucket then rack beer on top and bottle.

I wonder what the experience level of the above posters with honey is (not flaming just truly asking) as I have done 30+ batches with honey and get the exact opposite of what people post on here. I get a nice carbonation with an immediate aroma and a small taste on the front end. My recipe until now has no honey malt but I have started using it as sometimes the honey takes over the hop aroma at first, and I plan to do a "traditional" bottle carb to compare. Then again this is for my IIPA which is consumed rather young.

Orange blossom honey is my "secret weapon" with this, and I have tried them all (at least at a commercial market and organic stores)
Have you tried bottling with Buckwheat Honey? I have a jar and I love the flavor of it. I know some people say it has a barnyard taste, but I have never tasted this, just molasses. Just wondering if it works well and comes out with a good taste? I am making an American Pale Ale.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #10
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky_Brewer View Post
Have you tried bottling with Buckwheat Honey? I have a jar and I love the flavor of it. I know some people say it has a barnyard taste, but I have never tasted this, just molasses. Just wondering if it works well and comes out with a good taste? I am making an American Pale Ale.
Search this site...there is another thread where a few people have more experience with buckwheat...I have only used it once and also didn't get the barnyard taste, but found it too powerful for my taste

Quick Reply