Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling high gravity brews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2007, 09:47 PM   #1
gyoder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottling high gravity brews

My first high-gravity brew will be ready to bottle by the weekend. It's a pliny the elder clone that had an OG of 1.076. It was in the primary for 1 week and after the quite vigorous fermentation ended I put it in the secondary and dry-hopped for the past 6 days. The gravity as of today was 1.016.

I read that sometimes it's a good idea to re-pitch a fraction of a starter when bottling high-gravity brews in order to get carbonation more quickly. What are your thoughts on doing this? Is the gravity low enough that additional fermentation won't be a problem and the bottles will explode? Am I being a worry wort and should I just add the corn sugar as usual?

Any input would be greatly appreciated...

P.S. Making sure some yeast gets into suspension when racking to the bottling bucket I think is out of the question due to a large amount of hop pellet sediment comingling with the yeast.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2007, 05:13 AM   #2
robnog
Recipes 

I've never brewed anything that big, but everything that I have done in the 1.060-1.070 range have carbonated just fine. They took a little longer, but that could be due to the colder conditions in my house.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:59 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

For bottle bombs, what matters is how much you use and residual sugar, not the ABV of the ale. You have excellent attenuation (what yeast? Pacman?), so there is little concern over residual sugars. I suspect what people are aiming for by priming with some of the original wort is greater consistency of flavor.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply