Bottling from a growler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KnightRider

Reaction score
I've got a growler that was filled at a local brewery. I wouldn't mind having a few bottles of this brew around to drink in a couple months, but unfortunately, it's a limited time release that won't be bottled by the brewery.

Would it be worth trying to bottle the growler? If so, what would be the best way to do it? Racking to a bottling bucket seems like over kill. I guess I could just siphon from the growler directly into a couple of bombers.

I hope someone will chime in with a good way to successfully do this, but I can tell you I've tried it myself and it didn't work at all. I ended up with nothing more than a few bottles of flat IPA. :(

There is a special "gun" that can do this from a tap, from what I hear... but you'd probably want them to do it straight from the tap- not you doing it from a growler...

I don't think that you'll be able to achieve the desired result, and with a limited release I think you'll just be disappointed in a few months when you open those bottles.

I also noticed that you're in PA and I have to ask what beer you have in your growler. My immediate guess it Troegs Scratch 19. If that's the case I am very jealous.

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't think it would be feasible, but was hoping somebody had some success bottling from a growler. I will just drink it sooner rather than later. And yes, it is the Scratch 19, good guess. Let's hope they make this one again and bottle it like they did with the Flying Mouflan.

Until yesterday I thought my buddy had picked up a case for me, then I heard about "the accident." I am glad that you managed to get a growler, though. I'm currently drinking some Scratch 15 that I still have lying around, still delicious. I think they will definitely revisit this one again (scratches 5, 15, and 19), and I can't wait until they release some more Flying Mouflan. I only got about a half a bomber of that one, can't wait until I can get a case of it.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back