Bottling First Lager - Temperature Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlm3

Reaction score
I'm going to be bottling my first lager in a week or two and was curios if I should allow it to raise to room temp before bottling. It's an Oktoberfest that has been in my freezer @ 31F for about 3 months. Should I pull it out a day before bottling so that it can raise to room temp? Due the the lagering time and temp, I'm planning on adding a little dry yeast while bottling. I'm worried that if I don't allow the beer to warm first, it may shock the yeast and I'll get poor carbonation. Should I keep the bottled beer at room temp for the first few weeks at least, like an ale? I'm just not sure if lowering, raising, then lowering the temp again will cause problems with the beer.

Also, I have some dry Nottingham already, is this alright to use when priming, or should I get some dry yeast instead?

Thanks!

Also, I'm using the TastyBrew Bottle Priming Calculator and I'm not sure if I should use the temp the beer was at during lagering (31 F) which yields 2.4 oz corn sugar (seems very low to me), or the room temp (~65 F) which yields 4.7 oz (seems more realistic.)

I bottle cold most of the time. Both cold crashed ales and lagers. I sprinkle in a gram or two of dry yeast as it racks to the bottling bucket. After capped I space them out on the table until they no longer have any condensation on them then box them up and store them at room temp. In a week they are carbonated.

Back