Bottling Error???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milgon

Reaction score
First real brew (I made a few mr. beer kit beers to "practice"). I used a 4lb pale lme, 2 lbs of amber dme, 2 oz cascade 60, 1 oz cascade 15. 2 weeks in fermenter, then bottled. I was crazy with the sanitation, everything was sanitized. I waited a week then tried one beer, not really carbonated, but tasted right. Waited another week, tried one beer, carbonated great, delicious. Three days later, tried another beer. Cloudy, smelled metal/sweet, hop flavor almost gone. WHAT HAPPENED? I am tempted to call it a loss but I am not sure how it can go from great to bad in 3 days. There are no foreign entities in the beer, clear as day in the bottle. When I pour the sediment looks like its rolling in balls. Please help.

Did you use new bottles or rinsed out commercial/previously used bottles? I've had isolated contaminations in individual bottles before. That aside, I'm not sure why you'd call a whole batch a loss because 1 out of 3 bottles was sub-par. ****, 3 out of 3 bud bottles are sub-par but they keep making that!

I tried 6 more beers after I tasted the bad one. 5 of them smelled the same, and the taste wasn't bad, I think that the smell is affecting the taste. 1 of the bottles I opened was almost fine, I drank that one (warm mind you) and I was ok with it. I did not dump the batch, i refrigerated half the remaining bottles and the other I will let condition longer. Are different, weird, smells normal throughout the duration of conditioning?

UPDATE

Tried one of the beers Tuesday, smelled normal, tasted normal. I'm glad I did not dump the whole batch. However, I'm confused as to why they had such a metal smell for just a few days.

Back