Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling Delay
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2005, 11:15 PM   #1
danceswithbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 9
Default Bottling Delay

For reasons I can't explain, I primed my latest batch on Sunday, Sept. 18, it will be Thursday, Sept. 22 before I can bottle. Should I expect problems?

__________________
danceswithbeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2005, 11:38 PM   #2
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dude's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Knob Noster, Missouri
Posts: 8,843
Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Interesting thread.

First off, cover it and put an airlock in it, as it WILL ferment.

This could be a tough situation, because you are taking a chance by adding MORE priming sugar when you do get a chance to bottle. Bottle bombs are likely cause you have no idea how much of that sugar was eaten by the yeasts.

Personally, I don't know what I'd do here. Let it ferment out all the way and prime again? Or take my chances and just bottle it up without adding anything else? I don't know.

Anyone else?

__________________
On Tap: Lake Walk Pale Ale -- Eternity (Raspberry Stout) -- Nutrocker -- Donnybrook Dark
Primary: Lake Walk Pale Ale
Secondary: Summit IPA
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com
Dude is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2005, 11:58 PM   #3
SwAMi75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SwAMi75's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Midwest City, OK
Posts: 2,492
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

The only thing I can think of if to check your gravity right now, and see how it compares with your FG. That way you'll be able to tell if the sugar fermented out by bottling day. I'd think 4 days should be enough to ferment the sugar out.

~Edit...duh, just realised this was three days ago. Little late for a hydro reading now! Still, I'd take a hydro reading on bottling day. If it's the same, or lower than your measured FG, re-prime and bottle. Say a little prayer, and put the bottles in a secure area.

__________________
May you go marching in three-measure time
Dressed up as asses, drunk to the nines
Swing from the rafters, shouting those songs
Gone unsung for far too long


Last edited by SwAMi75; 09-22-2005 at 12:00 AM.
SwAMi75 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2005, 01:37 AM   #4
ScottT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScottT's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hurst, Tx
Posts: 654
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I'd leave it for a week at least and make sure I've got no airlock activity before priming a second time and botteling. No sense in taking any chances with bottle bombs. All you've done is boost the ABV a little.

__________________

Scott

Primary: Empty

Secondary #2: Empty

Bottle Conditioning: Oatmeal Stout

Drinking from Keg: Ordinary Bitter, Kolsch

Drinking bottled: Brown Autumn Wee Heavy
Hefe Weizen
Peaches and Cream Weizen


"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption... Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck.

Next up: Hefe Weizen

ScottT is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bottling Delay--should I still do it? Kakistocracy Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 09-30-2008 07:41 PM
8 hours delay before pitching yeast... jordanlee05 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 08-30-2008 04:15 PM
Will cold crashing delay bottle conditioning? maltMonkey General Techniques 3 02-15-2008 04:40 PM
Brewday delay Chris_Dog General Chit Chat 5 12-16-2007 06:21 PM