Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling Bucket Spigot Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012, 04:57 AM   #1
pbaker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bottling Bucket Spigot Question

I mainly do 1 gallon batches but thoroughly enjoyed using a bottling bucket when I did a 5gal batch a few weeks ago. I've got a small 2gal bucket that I'd love to install a spigot on to use as a smaller bottling bucket. The question is:

Why are all of the spigots so high on the bucket? It takes some crazy tipping skills to get all of the wort out and even then requires pouring the last bottle's worth out of the top. Can I stick the spigot down at the very bottom edge of the bucket? Or is there a purpose for having the spigot up ~2" from the bottom?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 05:04 AM   #2
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Mine is up about an inch but that is just because I would not be able to get the nut on the spigot threads if it was any further down. I've always installed the spigots that way and can't imagine a reason for doing otherwise. I still need to tip the bucket to get the last inch or so out.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:35 AM   #3
Brew-Jay
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 35 Posts

There's a DIY on this forum with a solution to this. Basically, you take a 3/4" PVC connector and attach it to the inside threaded part of the spigot and point it down. It acts as a siphon and sucks out the liquid down to the bottom. If I find it ill post a link.

“In Vino Veritas, In Cervesio Felicitas” — Anonymous

Old 10-29-2012, 05:37 AM   #4
Brew-Jay
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 35 Posts

Yep. Here it is.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/seri...p-tube-356581/

“In Vino Veritas, In Cervesio Felicitas” — Anonymous

Old 10-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
pbaker
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ah nice find, I had actually just found someone using a stopper and a copper tube but this will look a little nicer. Thanks

Quick Reply