New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling beer in twist off champange bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
tokerlund
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Default Bottling beer in twist off champange bottles

My wife loves cheap champagne. She wouldn't buy it because it didn't come in a box (she loves cheap wine). But, once I started messing around with homemade wine, she had a reason to buy the champagne in a bottle. She normally buys the twist off cap champagne with the plastic "cork" attached to the cap.

Originally, I was going to use them all for wine and just cork them. But, I am now wanting to bottle a gallon or so of my beer before I put it in the keg. I just want some portable beer that can be shared with friends.

Anybody have any thoughts on bottling beer in the champagne bottle and just using the twist off cap? I could cork it and get a wire and basket, but if I can get by for a month or so on the cap, I think I will.

I am also thinking about filling a few from the keg then capping. I just want to see how well they hold the CO2 and for how long.

Any thoughts, advice, warnings?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
jungatheart
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 133

I'm interested myself. I get all the champagne bottles my recycling center gets in because they just throw them away. Every now and then I get a twist off and so far I've not tried to cap them.

Try to talk her into getting the bottles with the cork as they will accept a regular bottle cap. (except the European 29mm ones which you'll have to get different caps and capper bell)

Never a worry about bottle bombs in a champagne bottle.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
tokerlund
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Well I just poured myself a pint (or two) of Maple Oatmeal Stout from my champagne bottle (with the screw on cap & intergrated plastic 'cork')that I filled up last weekend. The result was perfect. Now, admittedly, this is a lower carb beer, but it formed a nice head and tasted spot on. I plan to fill 4 or so per keg for my next two IPAs that I have fermenting now. Filling from the keg through a picnic tapper and bottle filler worked out great and also led to no sediment in the bottle as well as an instantly drinkable carbed beer.

FYI

Quick Reply