Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling after temperature drop / add more yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
laserghost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Bottling after temperature drop / add more yeast?

Wondering if I need to add some dry US-05 to the bottling bucket on this one. I've never had to do this yet, but last night the ambient temps dropped to 64 from 75.

This is a Pumpkin Spice Ale with wlp002 that has been in primary for 3 weeks. I fermented at 67–68 in a water bath and pulled it out after 2 weeks to free up the water bath for two more batches. The last week it's been in ambient temps of 70–75.

I was going to bottle yesterday at 75, and made the priming sugar based on 75 temps, but it got put off and I'm planning to bottle today. Last night, though, I left the window open and the temps dropped to 64 this morning. This is a highly flocculent yeast so I'm wondering if I need to add some dry to the bottling bucket, or should there still be enough yeast in suspension to bottle condition. Maybe I'll even get a slightly clearer beer?

If adding dry to the bucket, I would probably do 1/3 to 1/2 packet. Would I want to rehydrate it first?

Reason: improve information

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 68

You most certainly do not need to add more yeast. First of all, three weeks is not long enough time to be worried about lacking yeast for carbonation. Second, 64*F isn't really that cold... it's just 1*F below the lower-range of optimal temperature of WLP002. Even seemingly crystal clear beer can still have thousands of yeast cells per milliliter.

I've had proper carbonation on a beer that spent two months in primary without adding more yeast and that one even got a cold crash for a week. You'll be fine

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 10-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
laserghost
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quick Reply