The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > bottling after cold crashing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
stagstout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default bottling after cold crashing

I figure there is a thread out there already but I was unable to find what I was looking for. Question is this: this is my first time cold crashing. Since I'm used to bottling room temp beer I would typically bottle an ale w/ 5 oz of priming sugar to get my desired carb. since cold crashing will keep some of the co2 in solution, how much should I compensate out of the typ. 5 oz to get the same result in carb. If some one has a quick answere i would appreciate it.

thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2010, 11:19 PM   #2
WildGingerBrewing
ISDID, I has it
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1898 Times on 1877 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Bump...I'm getting ready to cold crash my first one as well.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:50 PM   #3
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

this is a guess and only a guess. but since fermentation is over there isn't any new carbonation being put into the beer. your beer has already lost as much residual CO2 as its going to for the highest temp the beer got to after fermentation. and to top it off your going to be warming it up to carbonate it.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:56 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

You could use Palmer's nomograph or your favorite brewing software, take a temp of your beer and measure the sugar accordingly. If you are cold crashing that would be the temp you would go by.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply