Bottling advice for a Barrel-Aged Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbarclay

Reaction score
Just wanted to reach out to the forum and see if you have any advice for bottling a barrel-aged stout with an 11% ABV? This is my first experiment in Barrel-Aging, so I'm looking for any direction.

Thanks!

Maybe a little bottling yeast to help ensure carbonation? Also probably a lower carb vol - like 2.2. I opened a wood chip bourbon stout after being the bottle for a year, I think it also may have a had a little too much headspace, and it had gotten more carbed than all the ones I had drank in the earlier months.

If you plan to age it I'd think a lower carb volume would be advisable

I did an imperial barrel aged stout and added a pack of safale 05 in the bottling bucket and it turned out great. Rehydrate the yeast in sterile water first. I'm not saying it's the best way, but it worked just fine.

Give it time. I bottled a 13% stout from a barrel, and at that strength it took a couple months to see carbonation. Also, the barrel breaths, so depending on how long it was in there, it will have less residual carbonation than the same beer in a carboy for the same time

I keep US-05 on hand for my long lagered or wood aged beers, always had great carbonation- it takes time, for sure. Some big / wood beers take months to smooth out in the bottle in my experience, so patience is a necessity.

CBC-1 Cask & Bottle Conditioned Beer Yeast

helped carbed up my bulk conditioned for 6 months, 14.5% pumpkin barleywine very nicely

forget how much I used, but added it to priming sugar as it went into the bottling bucket along with the barleywine

I used 3g of CBC-1 to re-pitch my 8.5% ABV RIS (5 gallons) at bottling, after 4.5 months in secondary. Carbed to 2.5 volumes, came out great in one month. CBC-1 does not alter the flavor. Good stuff.

I recently bottled an imperial stout that had been in a barrel for 2 months. On the advice of something I read here on a post I used enough priming sugar to hit 2.3 volumes CO2. I actually wanted 2.1 volumes but did this as measure to account for decreased residual CO2. Figured if I hit 2.3 it would be fine. Carbed perfectly right around what I was shooting for.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back