The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2008, 07:55 PM   #1
Dougan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bottling?

First bottling experience is coming up with the large hitch being that I don't currently own any beer bottles. I don't really think I can drink 2 cases of beer in the next week and I don't feel like buying empty bottles if I can avoid it (even if they do sell them). I have some 24oz soda bottles and could probably get some more from my parents if I had to. I might also be able to find one or two 40oz malt liquor bottles that my friends would have. Are these acceptable bottling containers? I guess my concern is what effect the carbonating would have. What about a bunch of mason jars?

I'll be leaving these in a dark place, of course, so I'm not so concerned with clear bottles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2008, 08:27 PM   #2
donajr
Recipes 

They do sell empty bottles. The soda bottles will work but probably not your best bet for long term storage. I have used them in the past and they seemed to work fine for me.

Dont know about the mason jars.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:31 PM   #3
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

We've all been there.

Give your beer more time in the fermenter. It will make the beer better and give you time to enjoy some craft beers.

Get on Craigslist or check with your local HB club.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:32 PM   #4
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Don't feel like there is any rush to bottle. There isn't. So long as your beer is safely within your primary or secondary, the bottling process can wait until you've accumulated enough bottles. It won't hurt your beer to wait, and it will likely even help.

I wouldn't use anything but flip-tops or proper, crown-capped bottles. Hit up local bars & restaurants. Find the local recycling center, they will probably let you take what you need in exchange for the deposit value. Check Craig's List as well, I'm always seeing bottles offered for little to nothing.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
bearkluttz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I go through the local recycling center. The guy there thinks its kinda strange but he doesn't seem to mind... its worth a shot.

"You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!" FC1(SW) Ruben Serrato

Primary: Polar Bear Pale Ale
Secondary: Red Haired Black Bear Stout
Apfelwein Carboy:
Apple/White Cranberry Hybrid
Bottled: EdWorts Apfelwein;RPA Red Panda Ale; Kodiak Brown

Old 08-21-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

recycling center or craigslist. It is amazing the amount of stuff people have to give away on there if you just ask.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:40 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Can you go to a local bar and get empties? You want the non-twist off bottles, like Sam Adams bottles, or even Corona bottles. (Digging out the limes is gross, though, so it's not my favorite). I've also gone dumpster diving at the recycling center, and they just laugh when I come in. Of course, I bring a few bottles of beer with me. The guys who fill my co2 tank like beer, also, so there's always a "little something" for them. Just a thought!

OR>>>>>>>> buy two cases of Sam Adams and have a big party. Then, you have bottles, and friends, too!

Old 08-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

You'd be surprised how much beer you can consume in the 2-4 weeks one leaves beer in a fermenter...It's a good excuse to try different craft brews to see what you like, or like yoop said you can have a bash with 2 cases of sam adams...

Also, you will be surprised at how many people will give you bottles once you put the word out you are homebrewing, especially if you promise to give them a few of your own..Friends, neighbors, coworkers... A lot of people put non-twist off beer, wine, champaign bottles, even flip tops aside for me...even grabbing any they me see on their travels.

But I can gaurentee that once you start homebrewing and get a few batches under your belt, you'll look back at this thread, and they idea that 2 cases of beer is a daunting task to put away, and laugh!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-21-2008, 09:09 PM   #9
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

Also, you will be surprised at how many people will give you bottles once you put the word out you are homebrewing, especially if you promise to give them a few of your own..
I have 27 empty 22's on my desk at work.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:28 PM   #10
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
I have 27 empty 22's on my desk at work.
Are you hiring?

Quick Reply