Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling 1st batch tomorrow: Question...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2007, 01:36 AM   #1
jagged
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottling 1st batch tomorrow: Question...

The instructions that came with my kit specifically refer to 12 oz bottles and say to fill to an inch from the top.

My question is, since I'm using liter bottles, do I need to adjust how much I fill the bottles?

I wasn't sure if the larger volume would need more headspace or not.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2007, 02:00 AM   #2
magno

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

If you are using a bottling wand with a spring loaded tip, just fill the bottle up to the top, when you remove the wand there will be ample headspace. If you are not using a bottling wand, leave the same inch that is called for with 12 oz bottles.

- magno

Old 01-02-2007, 03:33 AM   #3
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by magno
If you are using a bottling wand with a spring loaded tip, just fill the bottle up to the top, when you remove the wand there will be ample headspace. If you are not using a bottling wand, leave the same inch that is called for with 12 oz bottles.
I find the bottle-wand-to-top procedure to be inapplicable to liter bottles. There just isn't enough headspace up there to get good carbonation. WIth liters, I usually go about 20-30% of the way up the upper "bell" of the bottneck, which probably leaves a few inches to the top.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:36 AM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1078 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I fill with 1/2 to 1 inch of headspace. I haven't found a reason to leave more headspace because it just forces you to use a couple extra bottles.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 01-03-2007, 03:36 AM   #5
jagged
Recipes 

cool, thanks for the info everyone...I just finished bottling and I ended up with about an inch in each bottle...we'll see how it goes in a few weeks

Quick Reply