Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottles for Trippel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2007, 04:10 PM   #11
malkore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iordz
Oh yeah, champagne bottles will handle quite a bit more pressure than regular 12oz bottles. There should be no problems with gushers unless you carbonate to a very, very volume or get a contaminant.
exactly. volume of the bottle doesn't affect 'gushers' or no gushers...its the quantity of priming sugar, or bottling before its finished fermenting (so again creates too much fermentable sugar in the bottle).

lack of headspace can cause gushers too, but if you use a bottle filling wand, it'll displace the right amount of beer to give you good headspace.

and of course good sanitizing will pretty much prevent a contaminent that takes fermentation lower than the 'proper' final gravity.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2007, 04:19 PM   #12
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpucci
You might be able to score champagne bottles from wedding reception halls. THey go through lots of bubbly and usually just throw the bottles out. Thats where i get mine.

Definately a good source. I attended a wedding this summer and asked the servers if I could take the empties. They were more than happy to have me take them. Less for them to pick up, and the caterer did not have to deal with disposal (no refund for wine or champagne bottles where I am). I scored almost 2 cases and they were brown bottles that were etched on the outside which makes them look black. Cannot remember the brand but they are definately cool bottles. They take the 29 mm caps but that is no problem. One thing I will suggest is that a bench capper is probably a better idea than a wing capper. i have a wing capper and it did the job but, it is now kind of trashed and won't work too well on normal bottles anymore.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 10-25-2007, 11:33 PM   #13
(nevin)
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
exactly. volume of the bottle doesn't affect 'gushers' or no gushers...its the quantity of priming sugar, or bottling before its finished fermenting (so again creates too much fermentable sugar in the bottle).

lack of headspace can cause gushers too, but if you use a bottle filling wand, it'll displace the right amount of beer to give you good headspace.

and of course good sanitizing will pretty much prevent a contaminent that takes fermentation lower than the 'proper' final gravity.
Yeah, I use a filling wand, and I'm pretty diligent about sanitation (no issues thus far, knock on wood) but the recipe I have calls for more sugar at bottling than I would normally use (1.25 cups in a 5 gal. batch) hence the worry about exploding bottles. OH yeah, and I'll be throwing some fresh yeast when priming as well.
60 minute IPA, Great Minds Oatmeal Stout, 60 minute IPA, Science Experiment #1&#2, Chilly Willy (AKA. Science Experiment #3)

Old 10-26-2007, 12:15 AM   #14
Madtown Brew
Recipes 

Start drinking a 750 ml bottle of ommegang every other day until you have enough. Buy some corks and have at it. That's my suggestion - I always hate buying/scrounging for empty bottles. Much more fun to "empty" them yourself.

flanders red
Kegged:
Oktoberfest

Old 10-26-2007, 12:24 AM   #15
(nevin)
Recipes 

Actually I've emptied a few chimay bottles this week for that very reason

60 minute IPA, Great Minds Oatmeal Stout, 60 minute IPA, Science Experiment #1&#2, Chilly Willy (AKA. Science Experiment #3)

Old 10-26-2007, 03:09 AM   #16
D*Bo
Recipes 

anybody have a source for champagine corks. Morbeer has good quality corks (so they say), but they don't have the traditional style that comes on the belgian bottles.

Drinking Oatmeal Chocolate Stout, Oaked Bourbon Chocolate Stout, Dry Mead)
Up NextScottish ale and Dopple Bock

Always ready for the wack snack attack, I carry sandwiches around in a straight edge style JanSports backpack.

Support your local businesses

Old 10-26-2007, 11:18 AM   #17
(nevin)
Recipes 

Here's the website for the lbhs I frequent, I'm planning on running up there this weekend to verify If the corks they have will work on the Belgian style bottles.
http://www.homebrewhq.com/ProductDet...productID=1468

Old 10-26-2007, 04:13 PM   #18
musikguru6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

how many belgian bottles would you need for a 5 gl batch of trippel? do you even need the belgian bottles for the trippel?

Dallas area homebrewer? Check out the Dallas Homebrew Collective - a homebrew club that meets in Dallas city limits.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:31 PM   #19
(nevin)
Recipes 

I'd need about 19 bottles (750 ml). I don't NEED Belgian bottles but considering the brew I would prefer them.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:53 PM   #20
(nevin)
Recipes 

well.. I checked out the LHBS mentioned above, the champagne corks they have are the plastic type. No surprise there really, a quick online search didn't turn up many either. The plastic corks seem to be too narrow in diameter for the Chimay bottle. I'd like to avoid plastic corks and champagne bottles, but it seems to be a much more cost effective option.

Quick Reply