Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottles stored at 80 degrees

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2006, 04:58 AM   #1
KopyKat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bottles stored at 80 degrees

It will be summer soon in beautiful Austin Texas and with it comes the heat. The only place I have to store my bottled beer is in an upstairs room that will be as warm most of the day as 80 to 82 degrees. Is this going to be a problem? Will they overcarbonate and explode? Or will some other bad thing happen?

Primary: Belgian Blonde (for cask)
Drinking: Robust Porter
Up Next: Christmas Ale, SNPA, Simcoe IPA

AustinZealots.com
Home of the Austin Zealot's Inquisition

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2006, 05:59 AM   #2
nick1023
Recipes 

Being from texas I've stored bottles in the upper 70's (daytime temp) without a problem. I would just try to find the coolest darkest spot in the room as possible to be on the safe side. maybe lay a damp towel over them during the day to help keep it a few degrees cooler.

Old 03-14-2006, 06:10 AM   #3
magno

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I shouldn't over carbonate; one the yeast is out of sugar, it can carbonate no more. I am also about to face the same dilemma in Dallas, I am more worried about off flavors coming through due to warmer fermentation and bottle conditioning.

Last summer, my first summer brewing, I did not notice any horrible off flavors, but now with a few more brews under my belt I will probably be more critical this year. My next major investment to my brewery will be a cool box that should hold temperatures to at most 70 F. This will probably not be in effect until summer 2007 though.

- magno

Old 03-14-2006, 01:19 PM   #4
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler 13
It will be summer soon in beautiful Austin Texas and with it comes the heat. The only place I have to store my bottled beer is in an upstairs room that will be as warm most of the day as 80 to 82 degrees. Is this going to be a problem? Will they overcarbonate and explode? Or will some other bad thing happen?
Downstairs would be better than upstairs, but if you've no choice try to sit them under an AC vent, keep them low on the ground as opposed to up on a shelf, keep them dark, and maybe try a big tub with a lid that you could toss an ice pack in every morning. Doing all those things will gain you maybe 5 degrees. As magno said, the heat isn't going to make them explode, but I'd be a little worried about esters developing in some types of beer if you should get much higher than the mid 80's.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 03-14-2006, 02:33 PM   #5
Lounge Lizard

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So far an all Texan thread! Makes sense that we would all be worried about heat.

This is something I have been thinking about it too. Darn sure wouldn't want all the beer (and now wine in the process) that I made to get off flavors in storage.

Being single and living alone, I usually turn the A/C off when away from the house. It can and does get muy caliente in here in a hurry.

I suppose I will just have to designate one of the smaller bedrooms as a cool room, and leave a window unit running most of the time this summer. Not something I really want to do....

Last edited by Lounge Lizard; 03-14-2006 at 03:40 PM.

Old 03-14-2006, 03:19 PM   #6
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I can feel with you guys. I didn't pick up brewing until I had a spare fridge available.

I assume building a little airconditioned enclosure is out of the question for you guys? I'd just hate to see all that beer going through the heat and cold cycles every day.

Kai

Old 03-14-2006, 07:01 PM   #7
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Ah summer. Or Hades as we affectionately call it here. My bottles when I have them I store in a room that keeps to about 80-82 during the summer; low to the ground and dark. No ill affects found.

Old 03-15-2006, 04:44 AM   #8
Lost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

My experience has been that if I keep the beer nice and cool during active fermentation it turns out nice and clean even if I age it (in bottles or in bulk) in warmer temps.. though the house is really never above 78F. In my opinion warmer temps are actually a good thing for bottle conditioning b/c they speed the fermentation and result in carbonated beer faster.

I haven't had a fruity or acholoic tasting beer yet.

edit: I'm in FL in case you're wondering.. and yes it gets hotter than hell here in the summer!

Old 03-15-2006, 05:56 AM   #9
nick1023
Recipes 

Any of you texas or high temp guys brew lager without a spare fridge and a thermostat? I found an interesting diy contraption thats supposed to be a low cost alternative. http://home.elp.rr.com/brewbeer/chiller/chiller.PDF
What do you guys think?

Old 03-15-2006, 01:09 PM   #10
DyerNeedOfBeer
Barley Sober
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nick, I made one a bit different from what you posted which may serve the needs of this thread a little more...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=115&c=1&userid=962
(more pics in my gallery of this)

It is much larger than a one carboy cooler so many bottles could be stored. I sized mine for four corny's.

The one I built is two compartment which is optional but I wanted to be able to do two different temperature controls since I am also making wine.

This one is automated and has a 'peltier' cooler on it. It requires a sizable DC power supply which raises the cost of the project considerably.

Due to the size of this one, it can't 'freeze' the contents as the peltier's claim they can on an ice chest sized model but this one will keep the contents at least 20f below room temp.

This would be an option over putting in a window unit and keeping a whole room cooled.

Beer lovers make better drinkers.

Quick Reply