Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > bottles to keg question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2007, 04:08 AM   #1
pschrey109
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default bottles to keg question

This may seem like a crazy question but I have recently, as many here have said, gotten tired of bottling and have recently purchased two corny kegs. I have a batch of hefeweisen that has been sitting in bottles for two months. The beer in the bottles never carbonated but tastes pretty good.
I'm wondering if it is possible or wise to pour the bottled beer into one of the kegs and then carbonate it with CO2?
Don't know if this is a waste of time and I should just start a new batch or try to salvage the already brewed hefe.
Thanks
pete

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2007, 11:33 AM   #2
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Sure you could do that and force carbonate it in about a week. The problem is exposure to oxygen might cause it to go bad. I'd pour carefully and slowly or better yet siphon it into the corny to reduce the amount of oxygenation slap it in the fridge connected to CO2 for a week and the drink it quickly as it might not keep fresh for very long.

Or you might try adding a little more sugar to a bottle and see how it does in a month or so.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:41 PM   #3
Drunkensatyr

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Purge the corny with co2 first, then just try to keep the beer at the same level as the opening while you pour. Works like a champ.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:03 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 28

When you think about it, you have nothing to lose. I'd put the keg on a 45 degree angle and just carefully pour it down the side to keep it from splashing too much. When you hit it with gas, purge the keg a few times to make sure any O2 can get out.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 05-04-2007, 02:08 PM   #5
mozicodo

Recipes 

Where did you have the bottles stored? My fermenters are in the basement, but I keep my bottles upstairs for the first couple weeks. My first batch didn't carbonate either because it was sitting directly on the cold basement floor.

I'm also an exception to the rule. I kegged once and am going back to bottles. Excluding the hassle of taking of labels, bottling isn't much more work and I prefer the carbonation that came from bottle conditioning over forced carb.

Xtreme Mashtun Build Open Beer Data Project @aptidude on identi.ca

Android Software: ZymTools Free ZymTools Full

Quick Reply