*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottles and CO2 Pressure

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2008, 02:41 AM   #1
RHeastings
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottles and CO2 Pressure

I am considering moving from traditional bottle conditioning with corn sugar to an artificial forced CO2 system with kegs. My question is whether this would allow me to use standard American bottles for beers that would require higher volumes of CO2 (think Belgian Golden Strong types). Would carbonating with kegs and then bottling allow me to use these bottles, or would they still explode? Many thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2008, 03:34 AM   #2
BrianP

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Belgian Gold Strong ales range in carbonation from 2.3-2.9 (according to BeerSmith). This level is well within the range of typical bottles. Check out BierMuncher's "we don't need no stinking beer gun" thread for his design for a homemade counter-pressure bottle filler". This is very useful in filling bottles from kegs.

Cheers,

BP

-------------------------------
Fermenter 1: Best bitter (1)
Fermenter 2: Best bitter (2)
Fermenter 3: APA
Fermenter 4: APA

Old 11-07-2008, 01:52 AM   #3
ipscman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianP View Post
Belgian Gold Strong ales range in carbonation from 2.3-2.9 (according to BeerSmith). This level is well within the range of typical bottles. Check out BierMuncher's "we don't need no stinking beer gun" thread for his design for a homemade counter-pressure bottle filler". This is very useful in filling bottles from kegs.
I'm confused. I just read this in the book Brew LIke a Monk: "the Double [is carbonated at] 2.4 because the 12-ounce bottles are not rated to hold higher volumes safely." Zainasheff suggests carbonating Belgian Dubbles from 3-4.
We have three kinds of bottles:
12 oz glass (reused from store bought beer)
17 oz PET
22 oz glass bottles

Does anyone know the suggested safety limits for each type?

Quick Reply