Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottles to avoid. Proffered bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 01:03 AM   #1
Jackjama
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Default Bottles to avoid. Preffered bottles?

I am collecting bottles for my first two batches of homebrew. Are all bottles the same? Do some cap better than others? If so what brand if any should I avoid? Which ones are best?

Thanks

Last edited by Jackjama; 08-20-2012 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Spelling

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Avoid screw tops. Sam Adams bottled are nice and thick. Generally, avoid thinner bottles, although in truth, if you prime your bottles correctly, there should be no issue with any bottles.

As for bombers, be aware that a few seem to use a slightly oversized cap. But in general just seek out the heaviest seeming bottles you can find.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:14 AM   #3
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1235 Times on 997 Posts

When I was building up my bottle collection I made 12 ounce long necks my standard and cashed back anything else (MA has a deposit law). Through diligent effort I eventually amassed a cache of 24 cases of 'em, mostly SA, Wachusetts, DFH, Mayflower, and the rest of the local micros.

They stood in good stead for years until I switched to kegging. Gave half of them away, but for some reason I still have a dozen cases of cleaned and bagged long necks sitting in my furnace room. Tried to give some away a couple of weeks ago but the intended recipient was too far away.

The only advise I would give is to standardize on one form factor if only to make bottling and handling easier. That's why I stuck with the long necks. Otherwise, avoid twist tops like the plague...

Cheers!

Old 08-20-2012, 01:15 AM   #4
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 608 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Any craft brew bottle with a pry off cap should be OK. There are a lot of threads about which are easier to get the labels off.

No screw on caps, although some have been able to use them.

Brown bottles or you have to take extra care to keep them out of light.

Free bottles are the best. Recycling center, local bar, or ask friends to save their empties.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:50 AM   #5
Jackjama
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Default Thanks for the replies

I have a number of Sam Adams. They have a nice thick top. These bottles are similar to many craft brews. I also have a number of carta blanca from local resteraunt. These are brown but the necks are thin compared to Sam Adams. Do you see any problems? How about red stripe? I can get a bunch of these also.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:05 AM   #6
Wynne-R
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Some time ago, I took some homebrew to my brother’s house an hour away.

I held a bottle up to the light, and pointed to it, I don’t remember why. When I touched the cap with my fingernail it flew off. Hilarious.

You guessed it, twist off. I don’t know why it didn’t blow up in my car.

I agree with daytrippr, collect bottles of the same height. That implies you have a bench capper, well worth it. Best of luck.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #7
JoeSpartaNJ
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 6

When I used to bottle I would only use bombers and Sierra Nevada bottles.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Red Stripe can be a little akward if you use a wing capper, they can be capped though. No problems with them in a bench capper.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
Weeezle007
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Fullers London Pride and ESB (11.2 ounces) are REALLY dark and thick glass. Although at $12 a six they are pricey. I really like them though..and it gives me an excuse to buy more ESB!

As far as ones to avoid..IMO avoid the Belgium styles (require corking) of course if you want to cork..then get those. I also made the mistake of buying Hobgoblin..they have a rounded portion under the cap that made it impossible for me to cap them!! Mental note.. try one to make sure you can cap them before bottling day!!

Old 08-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
geosteve
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've had bad luck with New Belgium bottles - they'll hold up OK, but the necks sometimes break when I open them. Like they break off in a neat complete ring, cap still on. Only happens to 1 in 20, but still. What a waste!

I keg now, so not such a problem anymore. I've eliminated the New Belgium bottles and started moving over to all bombers for what I do bottle.

Quick Reply