Bottled yesterday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
I bottled for the first time yesterday. There was a couple of messes made, but overall went fairly smooth with everyones suggestions. Now what do I do? Should I open one at the end of the week, or should I just wait 2 or 3 weeks before trying one? I tasted one yesterday and it was a little green. Smelled sweet though :)

Thanks!

You can either open one every week and get an idea of how it is progressing through the carbonation process or you can wait 2-3 weeks when they will probably be fully carbonated. I guess that isn't really much of an answer :)

Since it was still green, give it the full 3 weeks (to start) to bottle condition/carbonate before you chill one and test it. Chill it for at least 3-4 days before you pour it into the room temp glass. If it's not ready, give it another week (from when you started that one chilling, and chill another, testing after 3-4+ days. I find mine are better after 4-5 (or more) days in the fridge. Head is better, carbonation is better, etc...

How long was your brew on the yeast? Leaving it in primary longer will do a lot to get rid of the 'green' beer flavors. An extra week there (or more) will do wonders for your brew. IMO, patience is one of the best tools/skills a home brewer can have.

Since it was still green, give it the full 3 weeks (to start) to bottle condition/carbonate before you chill one and test it. Chill it for at least 3-4 days before you pour it into the room temp glass. If it's not ready, give it another week (from when you started that one chilling, and chill another, testing after 3-4+ days. I find mine are better after 4-5 (or more) days in the fridge. Head is better, carbonation is better, etc...

Perfect answer.

How long was your brew on the yeast?

I left it in the primary for 2 weeks before I bottled it. I was hoping to clear it out since I didn't use a secondary. I'm probably going to use a secondary on my next batch. I heard that when the bottles cool from refrigeration, the beer can clear up even more. Is there any truth to that?

I left it in the primary for 2 weeks before I bottled it. I was hoping to clear it out since I didn't use a secondary. I'm probably going to use a secondary on my next batch. I heard that when the bottles cool from refrigeration, the beer can clear up even more. Is there any truth to that?

I'm not entirely sure but I think you're referring to cold crashing. This is when you place your primary/secondary at temperatures <40 degrees which causes more yeast to go dormant and settle to the bottom as well as chill haze proteins. Afterwards, you bottle/keg like normal but you'll have clearer beer.

If you've already bottled and put them in the fridge, yes, your beer will clear slightly as the yeast settles to the bottom. But it won't be as good as if you cold crashed before bottling.

If you don't have a fridge large enough to cold crash (I don't) then you can simply leave the brew in primary for an extra week or four. Giving the brew long enough in primary is critical. Cold crashing is more for those that are not patient enough with their batches.

I go 4-8 (or more) weeks in primary and get super clear, great tasting brews every time. I only use Irish Moss, or Whirlfoc tablets, as fining agents (during the boil). Nothing else is used, or needed, in my batches.

If you don't have a fridge large enough to cold crash (I don't) then you can simply leave the brew in primary for an extra week or four. Giving the brew long enough in primary is critical. Cold crashing is more for those that are not patient enough with their batches.

I go 4-8 (or more) weeks in primary and get super clear, great tasting brews every time. I only use Irish Moss, or Whirlfoc tablets, as fining agents (during the boil). Nothing else is used, or needed, in my batches.
Are your beers ready at 3 weeks in the bottle after the extended primary? The reason I'm asking is I've been leaving them in the primary/secondary for 3 weeks total and don't feel they are ready in the bottle for about 5-6 weeks. I was wondering since bottle conditioning kicks off fermentation again if this is normal or if I just need to primary longer. Thanks.

Mine are ready for drinking/enjoying once carbonated, after my long primaries. I have a mocha porter that's going to be on the yeast for 7 weeks before it gets bottled/kegged (passed 6 weeks on Sunday). Keep in mind, it's OG was 1.074... :D

IMO, 3 weeks in vessel(s) before bottling isn't long enough. UNLESS you have a LOW OG brew (under 1.050), select the yeast that will finish fast, AND have tight control over your fermentation temperatures.

I've not had any negative effects after going with longer primaries, and then bottling. Letting them go 3+ weeks at 70F (or 65-80F) has yielded excellent results for me. My brews have been fermenting in a basement with an ambient temp that's about 65F year round. Great for my UK yeasts.

I think I'm sold on longer primaries after reading that. Thanks for the insight Golddiggie.
I can be patient leaving them in the primary longer, it's once they are in bottles where my curiosity gets the best of me.

I'm not entirely sure but I think you're referring to cold crashing. This is when you place your primary/secondary at temperatures <40 degrees which causes more yeast to go dormant and settle to the bottom as well as chill haze proteins. Afterwards, you bottle/keg like normal but you'll have clearer beer.

If you've already bottled and put them in the fridge, yes, your beer will clear slightly as the yeast settles to the bottom. But it won't be as good as if you cold crashed before bottling.

Are you saying you can cold crash before bottling? Would this not eliminate the yeast necessary to carbonate the beer? Or are you talking about bottling from a keg? Any info would be great, thanks!

Are you saying you can cold crash before bottling? Would this not eliminate the yeast necessary to carbonate the beer? Or are you talking about bottling from a keg? Any info would be great, thanks!
I haven't done this yet but you can cold crash before you bottle. The yeast just go dormant in the cold but do not die.

Back