Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottled over 2 Weeks ago

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
specialp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottled over 2 Weeks ago

Hello fellow Brewer's

I recently bottled a brown ale recipe that came out pretty damn good if I say so myself. One rather large problem... the carbonation. I put in the standard 3/4 cup of corn sugar to one pint, boiled and added to the beer. Waited 10 days no carbonation.. waited 12 days still nothing. I'm coming on almost 20 days and still no carbonation. I'm starting to get nervous that I messed up carbonation process. Please give some advice to alleviate my beer anxiety.

Cheers Gentlemen,

GNARWhals Brewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Wait longer! What's the temperature where the bottles are carbonating? If it's on the cooler side (below 70) that can add the conditioning time. Meanwhile RDWHAHB and brew something else to distract you.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Carbonation is actually foolproof, you add sugar, the yeast eats it and farts co2 which carbs the beer. It's not a complex system, and there's very little that can go wrong...It just takes time.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
specialp
Recipes 

Ok Thanks for the help guys. I'm feeling better about it now

Cheers Gentlemen,

GNARWhals Brewing

Quick Reply