Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottled beer not carbonated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012, 01:51 AM   #1
Milan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottled beer not carbonated

Need some expert advice here on my latest homebrew. Its a double IPA, about 8% ABV but since I racked the beer in a secondary prior to bottling with corn sugar, I suspect there was not enough yeast left in the secondary to get the bottles carbonated. Its been about 10 days not and the beer is sweet and flat. I used WLP 001 ale yeast originally so was thinking about opening the bottles and adding a few drops of yeast in each bottle. Is this a bad idea? Am I going to create bottle bombs? I am sure some of you must have had some experience with this. Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
mdgagne
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

10 days isn't very long, especially for a 10% abv beer. I would wait a couple more weeks and then consider adding yeast.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:00 AM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Leave it ALONE, at ~70F for a month or three and then check on it. 10 days, for an 8% ABV brew is not even close to enough time to carbonate/condition. You're probably looking at a minimum of 4-6 weeks before it's either starting to carbonate or (if you're really lucky) be carbonated.

Revvy has a great graphic on how higher ABV brews take longer to carbonate.

There are a couple of ways you could have helped it along BEFORE you bottled it. Now that it's bottled, your best bet is to leave it the hell alone.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 06-07-2012, 02:33 AM   #4
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I hope they're not in your fridge.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #5
Milan
Recipes 

No, they are not in the fridge. I'll wait it out. Thanks for your replies!

Old 06-08-2012, 01:29 AM   #6
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Hi

While waiting, read up on kegging and force carbonating ...

Bob

Old 06-08-2012, 01:34 AM   #7
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlisle_bob View Post
Hi

While waiting, read up on kegging and force carbonating ...

Bob
That's not always viable for people.

It took me over a year of brewing before I dove into kegging. I'm glad I did since it's far easier to deal with over, or under carbonation. You can still have frustrating issues, such as gas (or beer) leaks. Gas leaks are not as bad as losing all your keg due to a leak.

Still, there's very little as enjoyable as being able to pull a pint (or any amount really) of a tasty brew off of tap. I'm seriously thinking about adding a nitro/stout tap to my setup before the end of the year (after I move in a month or two).

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 06-08-2012, 01:35 AM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan View Post
Its been about 10 days not and the beer is sweet and flat. \
That's ALL we needed to know. he 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Even after secondary there is still million and millions of yeast cells in solution, plenty to do the job, when the time is right.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-08-2012, 01:37 AM   #9
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Hey Revvy, post up the chart you have showing OG to carbonating time relationship.

BTW, my brew buddy has a batch that took about six months to bottle carbonate, but it eventually did... Time is your best ally in these cases.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 07-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
Silentnoiz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'm in a similar situation as the OP. Brewed an AG IIPA (~8.7%), used WLP007, cold crashed before bottling, and did add the usual priming sugar. It has been in bottles at room temp (~75F) for 4 weeks now. It tastes good, but it is flat. I kegged and force-carb'd a portion of this same batch, and it turned out amazing.

I'm considering 2 options:

1 - Take all of the bottles, open them, siphon them into a keg (cleaned and sanitized of course) quietly (so as to limit the exposure to oxygen), add some leaf hops in a hop bag in the keg (thinking it would guard against potential infections), purge the keg's headspace with CO2, and then get the force-carb in motion.

2 - Slightly agitate the bottles to get the yeasty sediment back in suspension, and let sit at room temp for a few more weeks.

It seems the consensus is to take the route of option #2, which is what I'll try. If it doesn't work, I can go with option #1. Any thoughts on doing #1?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Save the beer!

Quick Reply