Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottled beer into a keg???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
mikesalvo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottled beer into a keg???

So, last week I bottled 5 gallons of beer. Right after that, I decided that cleaning/sanitizing bottles is AWFUL, and I bit on a kegging setup. My fridge just got here and Im about to start building my kegerator.

Now, let me ask you. Since I am completely impatient, and Im psyched to use my new setup, and The carbing beer bottles are finished, but need another week to carb, can I fill my keg from those bottles if I did it carefully? Aside from wasting all that time bottling and rinsing those bottles, is this an awful idea???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Oh that is bound to end very badly, lol. I would get a kit and brew a new batch pronto but leave the bottles alone.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 03-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

It's not really a great idea.. no matter how careful you are, pouring out a bunch of bottles into a keg is likely to oxidize the beer. I'd just brew a batch ASAP, something that can be ready to drink quickly - ie. hefe, a small pale ale, etc.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

That's kinda one of the most idiotic ideas people have on here. Oxygen + Fermented Beer = Liquid cardboard.

No mater what you might think, you'd have to pour the beer through air in order to fill your keg.

It seems stupid after weeks of fermenting and waiting for beer to carb and condition to ruin it just because you want to play with your new toy.

If you really want to "play" why don't you just carb up a bunch of water and make seltzer?

Or better yet brew a batch of celebratory beer to christen your kegs.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

its not a good idea if you can help it, but i successfully did this with a barleywine that did not carbonate even after several months and it turned out with no cardboard tastes, even for several months afterward until it was all gone.

if there is nothing wrong with the bottles, you should just be patient and keg your next batch. but if there is some reason why you have to do this, it can infact be done without all the disasterous consequences spouted off in the above posts.

Quick Reply