Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > bottle or secondary or both

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
pcollins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default bottle or secondary or both

I have an IIPA in primary right now that was started last Friday. I am going away for three weeks on October 2 and was wondering about advantages/disadvantages to the following scenarios:

leave in primary for ~3 weeks and bottle right before I leave and have it carbonate/condition in the bottle for the three weeks I'm away.

do the typical 1-2-3 scenario so that I'll rack to secondary next week and then bottle before I go.

leave in primary for 3 weeks, rack to secondary before I go and then bottle upon my return

Discuss.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
PintOfBitter
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If it's clear enough and attenuated when you leave, bottle it. otherwise leave in primary or rack to secondary to let it flocc. 3 weeks primary is not too long. best reason to rack is that you'll siphon some sediment when you go to remove it to bottle. secondary gives you another chance to have clearer beer in the bottles.

Regardless, plan on letting a IIPA bottle age a while.

-PoB

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts
Come visit WildHopsPrintShop.com- custom bottle caps, beer glassware, tap handles, and more!

Old 09-14-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
pcollins
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Well, it will almost definitely be attenuated by the time I leave. I've gone from 1.070 to 1.015 in three days.

I'm also debating about racking to free up my larger primary carboys for another batch before I go.

Quick Reply