Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottle with Hops on Top

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2010, 01:00 AM   #1
dgoldb1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Bottle with Hops on Top

I dry hopped my IPA last Saturday after fermenting and conditioning for three weeks. I was planning on bottling this Saturday but when I took a reading this evening there were a layer of hops on top of the beer. Do I need to wait until the hops drop to the bottom of the bucket or can I just bottle?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 02:35 AM   #2
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

You can just bottle. I've had this problem and the hops never dropped. I waited for weeks after I was originally intending to bottle.

The problem will become whether or not your siphon will get clogged (Also happened to me). You may want to rig up a better filter on your siphon to help out.

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 12-16-2010, 02:49 AM   #3
Fid
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

First time I dry hopped I didn't put enough weight in the hop sacks so they just floated on top.... think its just sorta what they do. You'll be fine to bottle just siphon carefully

Old 12-16-2010, 02:52 AM   #4
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fid View Post
First time I dry hopped I didn't put enough weight in the hop sacks so they just floated on top.... think its just sorta what they do. You'll be fine to bottle just siphon carefully
To add to that, I now use a hop bag with sanitized marbles to weight the bag down. With the extra weight, the bag stretched and kept the bag thin (Thus forcing the hops lower. This also gives the ability to use the bag with the hops/marbles to stir in the beer every now and then.

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 12-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
dgoldb1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think I may also zip tie a paint strainer bag around the inlet of my auto siphon.

Quick Reply