Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottle Etiquette

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2012, 02:18 AM   #1
kitchensqueen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Bottle Etiquette

When you gift a six pack (or more) of home brew to someone, do you expect to get the bottles back?

I plan on recycling swing-top bottles for my beer and I'd hope that they would come back to me after being consumed, but would it be rude to ask? I'd prefer to not buy new empty bottles (or drink a whole lot more Grolsch than I care to).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2012, 02:21 AM   #2
Pilgarlic
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I don't ask, I tell. I TELL those I give them to that they need to rinse the bottles immediately and return them. My friends are always happy to do it.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:22 AM   #3
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

When I give people beer, I tell them I would like the bottles back, and that's it. If I get them back, awesome. If I don't, I don't bring it up, because honestly, its just some bottles. I don't give away bottles that I wouldn't mind never seeing again. Which means I don't gift beer in swingtops.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:35 AM   #4
zacster
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

I only give away regular 12 oz bottles. I have a hard enough time keeping track of my other bottles in my own house. More than once I've had to pull them out of the recycling container.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:06 AM   #5
SharonaZamboni
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1370 Times on 1271 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I wouldn't count on getting swing-tops returned. They're pretty cool, and if someone is "gifted" a six pack, they will assume that the bottles are part of the gift. Better off giving a couple of bombers with nice labels.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:19 AM   #6
Whut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1625 Times on 1526 Posts
Likes Given: 8548

I have them and rarely use swing-tops but when I do it's for those that are in my "circle of trust". Anyone else gets a capped bottle that I could care less about getting returned. In fact, earlier this year I gave away two cases of said bottles (with product) and even my better half told me not to ask for them back. It's true.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:00 AM   #7
Dawnhulio
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Not rude at all...you spend the time gathering /rinsing / peeling labels / soaking / sanitizing / brewing / filling / capping / conditioning them...you should expect to get them back with a polite request. We swap brews with a couple of other homebrewers and even though we all swap say two a piece, we always wash and return each others bottles (and laugh about 'etiquette' when doing so) .

Old 05-24-2012, 06:47 AM   #8
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Meh. I'm not one to actually hand someone a bottle and proceed to say how I want it cleaned and returned. I've hoarded my fair share of bottles though, a few years back before a move I threw out three cases of better than grolsh swing tops and countless twelves. Sometimes my mead misses them...but I get on.
Only give out the bottles you aren't afraid to give up.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 600

I guess I'm on the other side of the fence on this...to me a gift is a gift. I'd rather give 1 22 oz bomber with nice labels and custom cap for a gift than a 6 pack I wanted back. Completely understand wanting them back but IMO its a little less classy.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #10
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calichusetts View Post
I guess I'm on the other side of the fence on this...to me a gift is a gift. I'd rather give 1 22 oz bomber with nice labels and custom cap for a gift than a 6 pack I wanted back. Completely understand wanting them back but IMO its a little less classy.
Well, I guess I don't view giving someone some beer to try as in issue where classy comes into play anyways. Now, if I'm giving to someone as a gift for an occasion, then i totally see where you're coming from.

Fake it til you make it.

Quick Reply