Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottle conditioning in warm climates

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
Ddubduder
Brewing Addict
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Bottle conditioning in warm climates

Anyone found a solution to where/how to condition your beer after bottling when room temp is upwards of 80? I was debating using my chest freezer but really didn't want to lose space I could be using for my fermentors. It's not so bad now but Florida summer is quickly approaching and I want to have my solution figured out before its too late.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
CHSBrewer
Recipes 

I'm also interested in a similar question. I live in Charleston, SC and would love to do an imperial stout which I understand can take 9-12 months before it's ready. I don't have a fridge yet and am hoping that maybe it won't be needed, but I have a feeling I'm wrong. I was going to keep the beer in a carboy for most of this time to condition and then bottle, but my problem is the same/nearly identical and am interested in what others have to say about this.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

You just find the coolest place in your house that you can, and rdwhahb. Just about everyone who brews lives somewhere where, if even for a short time we have some heat going on. Most of us also live with airconditioning or some sort. Be we all have at least a cooler closet to shove our beer into. Once the initial week or two of ACTUAL fermentation is over, when the yeast have done their thing, then temp control is NOT REALLY THAT CRUCIAL, unless you're brewing a lager, and need cold to lager.

We talk about temp control DURING FERMENTATION, because hot, stressed yeast create off flavors, they're peeing tainted alcohol you might say.....but once their done with their job, they're not peeing anymore, so they're not going to create off flavors. So in a bottle or a secondary (or long primary after initial fermentation is complete) you don't need to be paranoid about warm temps.

Our beer is a lot hardier and less tempermental than most new brewers think. It can handle a lot of things that new folks seem to over think and over stress about.

Don't sweat the smallstuff. It you can manage to live comfortably in the hot weather, so can the beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
CHSBrewer
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice Revvy!

Old 01-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I live in the Tampa Bay, FL area, and I find that interior closets are always about 3-5F cooler than the rest of the house.

My personal recommendation if your house is 80, though, is to turn on the AC SWMBO would cut my balls off if our thermostat bobbed above 74F!

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Mango Habenero Berliner Weisse
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Oktoberfest
Keg #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Keg #3 - Pumpkin Ale
Bottled - NONE!

Revvy Likes This 
Old 01-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
Ddubduder
Brewing Addict
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Shocking enough it's the SWMBO who keeps the temp up in the 78 range. 78 during the day, lower to sleep but it's not normally too bad in the house with fans moving around the air...plus having the SWMBO wear next to nothing to keep cool is an added bonus. Keeping the house less than that keeps the AC running constantly.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 492 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubduder View Post
Anyone found a solution to where/how to condition your beer after bottling when room temp is upwards of 80? I was debating using my chest freezer but really didn't want to lose space I could be using for my fermentors. It's not so bad now but Florida summer is quickly approaching and I want to have my solution figured out before its too late.
Keg,

Quick Reply