New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottle Conditioning Temperature - 52 degrees OK?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
meadowstream
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default Bottle Conditioning Temperature - 52 degrees OK?

At www.homebrewchef.com there is a recipe for a Westmalle Tripel - which I made and is indeed pretty darn good.

It calls for priming bottles and then setting aside for 4 weeks at 52 degrees.

Does this make sense? Will WL530 or Wyeast 3787 stay active at 52 degree - at least enough to carbonate the bottles?

Thanks for your reply(ies)!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
BeerPressure
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think it would take longer than 4 weeks at 52 degrees to carbonate a high abv tripel. Maybe they mean 4 weeks @ 52 after the initial carbonation period?

Old 06-11-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3451

That doesn't seem right. I don't see any mention of the bottle conditioning temps. I see in the notes he recommends cold condtitioning the beer after a week in primary, but that's more like a lagering period. 52 is going to be very close to the dropout temp for the yeast so it would take forever to carb, if at all.

Bottle it and let it carb and condition at the min. 3 weeks at 70 degrees, though since it's a tripel, I expect it to take a couple months to carb and condition.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-11-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
ArtVandelay
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Carbonate the bottles at 70+ for at least 3 weeks. When its fully carbonated, then store at 52.

If it were me I'd probably just leave them at 70 for 2 months

Old 06-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3451

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelay View Post

If it were me I'd probably just leave them at 70 for 2 months
That's what I would do too.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-12-2010, 12:10 AM   #6
meadowstream
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Thank you for the fast replies. I will leave at 65 deg (my basement's temp!) for 4-8 weeks and then store for the long haul at 52 deg.

Quick Reply