Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottle Conditioning Temp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2009, 04:16 AM   #1
pnh2atl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Bottle Conditioning Temp

I just corked about 20, 750ml Belgian bottles with a Belgian ale. Should I shoot for the temp I fermented them or some other temp or just let them sit in the basement 62-65F?

I have a picture of them in my gallery but I am unable to get it here except as a super-duper close up.

What do you think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #2
RunBikeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I bottle condition in the mid- to high-70's. This is consistent with what the Trappist breweries do (according to "Brew Like a Monk"). Lower temps will take a loooooong time...

Old 12-09-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2757 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Above 70 degrees is you want them to carb and condition in a reasonable timeframe. It's usually about 3 weeks for beers no greater than 1.060 OG....

Read my blog Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning, for more info...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-09-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 975 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 2042

Yes to RBB's advice to bottle condition a little warmer. My temp is usually around 72, though, not high 70s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunBikeBrew View Post
I bottle condition in the mid- to high-70's. This is consistent with what the Trappist breweries do (according to "Brew Like a Monk"). Lower temps will take a loooooong time...

Old 12-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #5
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I've still got two batches sitting upstairs, because at this time of year our basement is just too cold for proper conditioning (57-61F). We keep the upstairs around 67F, which will condition most regular gravity beers just fine in a month or 6 weeks. Hoping these are both conditioned by Christmas, because with company coming, the brew will have to go in the basement.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2757 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
I've still got two batches sitting upstairs, because at this time of year our basement is just too cold for proper conditioning (57-61F). We keep the upstairs around 67F, which will condition most regular gravity beers just fine in a month or 6 weeks. Hoping these are both conditioned by Christmas, because with company coming, the brew will have to go in the basement.
I'm pretty much in the same boat this time of year. My loft is in the low 60's in the winter, so carbing is a slow process. I've got two batches bottled with a slim hope they will be ready by christmas.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply