Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottle conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
hophead1148
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottle conditioning

2 weeks ago I bottled a 90 minute double ipa. Went to drink one today and it is still flat and very sugary. Thought maybe there wasn't a good seal with the cap so I tried another one and it was the same. Does a 90 minute boil need to bottle condition longer then a regular ipa or did I just mess something else up altogether.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #2
masskrug
Shooting for 80%
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 63

2 weeks isn't enough time. Go 2 more and try again.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
hophead1148
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by masskrug
2 weeks isn't enough time. Go 2 more and try again.
Would that have anything to do with the amount of hops or the time of the boil? I did a normal ipa and after 2 weeks that was good to go.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:28 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Carbonation is actually foolproof, you add sugar, the yeast eats it and farts co2 which carbs the beer. It's not a complex system, and there's very little that can go wrong...It just takes time.....And if it's a "double ipa" that implies that it will take LONGER than 3 weeks.....bigger beers take slonger time.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #5
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 11

It has to do with temperature and alcohol content. A big beer needs more time to carb and beer generally takes longer to carb during winter than summer (at least here in the south where room temp during summer is 80+ whereas it's closer to 68 during winter).

Edit: I was considering saying something about the minimum of three weeks thing as a joke... guess I was beaten.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 12-14-2012, 12:37 AM   #6
hophead1148
Recipes 

Ok that makes sense. It's been sitting for 2 weeks and probably only at a temp of about 65-68 degrees. I'll let it go 2 more weeks and try it again.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #7
hophead1148
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Carbonation is actually foolproof, you add sugar, the yeast eats it and farts co2 which carbs the beer. It's not a complex system, and there's very little that can go wrong...It just takes time.....And if it's a "double ipa" that implies that it will take LONGER than 3 weeks.....bigger beers take slonger time.
Slonger?

Old 02-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
storytyme
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Once the beer is carbonated in a controlled temp setting (chest freezer fermentor), then where should I store it when I need the room for new bottles for conditioning or carboys fermenting? My concern is temperatures. I will store it in my garage where currently the temp is between 50-60ish in a 24 hour period. What about when it gets warmer and the temps are 70-80 degrees? At what temperature will you ruin beer once it is bottled and carbonated?

Quick Reply