Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottle Conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
Cold_Steel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bottle Conditioning

Is it possible to use different yeast for priming than the yeast conditioning? By possible I mean will it affect the taste.
I have a belgian triple wl500 and I wanted to use some dry yeast to prime them. I dont want to have to make a liquid starter again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc
Doesn't blowing on it when its soft cause it to get hard? It's been a while, but I think that's how it used to work...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
chode720
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Because, its such a small amount of yeast to re-add to prime, you wont taste any difference. There are several commercial breweries that use a different strain to bottle condition

Primary1: Pumpkin Ale
Primary2: Christmas Ale
Pimary3: Apfelwein
Secondary: Sour Brown
Drinking: Warrior Pale Ale, Wit, American Rye

Old 01-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

You don't need to add any yeast at bottling for most beers.

The only reason you hear about some belgian breweries doing that is to hide the primary strain from harvesters like us and other breweries. But in order to do that they first kill off or filter out the primary strain.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-08-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
Cold_Steel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
You don't need to add any yeast at bottling for most beers.

The only reason you hear about some belgian breweries doing that is to hide the primary strain from harvesters like us and other breweries. But in order to do that they first kill off or filter out the primary strain.
So wait. Does this mean the second strain is doing the priming and conditioning?
Are they using dry or liquid yeast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc
Doesn't blowing on it when its soft cause it to get hard? It's been a while, but I think that's how it used to work...

Old 01-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold_Steel View Post
So wait. Does this mean the second strain is doing the priming and conditioning?
Are they using dry or liquid yeast?
Yes the second strain is doing the the priming and conditioning...and I have no idea if it's dry or liquid. It may be liquid, it may be a neutal ale yeast or even a champagne strain for all we know. It's sorta kinda part of the secret.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It's quite common for breweries to sterile filter the primary strain, then add a different (or, in case of Sierra Nevada, the primary strain) yeast for bottle-conditioning. I can think of several UK breweries that bottle-condition ales using a lager yeast.

Unless the beer in question is of a very high gravity, the primary strain will be sufficiently healthy to carbonate and condition.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
It's quite common for breweries to sterile filter the primary strain, then add a different (or, in case of Sierra Nevada, the primary strain) yeast for bottle-conditioning. I can think of several UK breweries that bottle-condition ales using a lager yeast.
True, but since he was talking about a Belgian beer he was doing it because he heard about belgain breweries doing it.

Quote:
Unless the beer in question is of a very high gravity, the primary strain will be sufficiently healthy to carbonate and condition.
True, though my 1.090 Belgian Strong carbed without adding any more...of course it did take about 3 months.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
Cold_Steel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Yes the second strain is doing the the priming and conditioning...and I have no idea if it's dry or liquid. It may be liquid, it may be a neutal ale yeast or even a champagne strain for all we know. It's sorta kinda part of the secret.
I knew it! Champagne yeast. I had posted a thread about priming with a champagne yeast because I had read it here before. The post also said the champagne yeast will produce a smaller bubble as well.
Everyone acted like I was crazy because I said champagne yeast.

Ok so what would you do. Belgian triple final gravity 1.010 from og 1.072. Bulk aged in concial fermenter for 3 months with wl500. Corn sugar and ???? dry yeast, liquid, champagne, lager, wl500 starter....what

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc

Old 01-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Don't jump on the champagne yeast thing...I said PERHAPS....that doesn't mean I said for sure.

And as to what I would do...personally I never have added more yeast at bottling...like I said above I did a 1.090 as is, and let it carb for as long as it needed....it still needed another 6 months to condition.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #10
Cold_Steel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Don't jump on the champagne yest thing...I said PERHAPS....that doesn't mean I said for sure.

And as to what I would...personally I never have added more yeast at bottling...like I said above I did a 1.090 as is, and let it carb for as long as it needed....it still needed another 6 months to condition.
Revy how does the yeast condition the beer properly under all that priming pressure? You would think it would be a problem for the yeast doing the conditioning right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc

Quick Reply