Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottle Conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2006, 08:29 PM   #1
mbreen01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottle Conditioning

I had a quick question; as a general rule, I go 1 wk primary, 2 wks secondary, and 3 wks in bottle. Some brews have been ready after a week in bottle, others have seemed to need a little more time to mellow. When bottling (or kegging for that matter), how long do you keep the beer at the yeast's preferred temp before refrigeration? I have a basement that stays around 66-70 degrees and I've been keeping most of my finished product down there. Should I stick em in the fridge? How much of bottle conditioning and maturation is yeast dependent? Can you basically refrigerate after carbonation, or is there some residual yeast activity which participates in the maturation of the brew?
Thanks,
Marc.

On tap & enjoying: Honey Wheat; Cheese's Caramel Cream Ale
Gone with a belch: Bock Talkit; Three Kings Better Bitter; Quake & Bake Oatmeal Stout; High Altitude Pale Ale
On deck: Garbage Pale Ale; Honey Wheat

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2006, 09:41 PM   #2
Passload

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Like you said it is a general rule. Storing them in your basement at that temp is just fine. I have even stored some of my brew at 75F for 3 mo. before fridging.
Quote by mbreen01 "How much of bottle conditioning and maturation is yeast dependent? Can you basically refrigerate after carbonation, or is there some residual yeast activity which participates in the maturation of the brew?" That is a very good question which I hope one of the other members will answer.

Justin

Cheers! J.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars
Relax, and trust the yeast to do their job, it's the one thing they are really good at!

Zuckerflüsschen Brauend Firma
On Deck: Whatever I Want
Primary: Sugarcreek Amber Ale
Brite Tank:
Aging: Philr-er-up Rockwell
Drinking/Kegged: The Golden Quitty

"It's just like anything else"
"It's not rocket science"

Last edited by Passload; 06-26-2006 at 01:22 AM.

Old 06-26-2006, 07:37 AM   #3
wild
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbreen01
Can you basically refrigerate after carbonation, or is there some residual yeast activity which participates in the maturation of the brew?
Yes, you can refrigerate after carbonation has completed. Refrigerating will only slow the aging process and clear the bear. This has its pros and cons. For a young beer (one that should be drank early in its life) this works just fine but for those that need to mature for months and possibly years, refrigerating will hinder the aging process.

Wild
  3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Quick Reply