Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottle Conditioned Beer vs Kegged

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
brewmasterbates
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

If you're using extracts (LME/DME) your beer will "break down" fairly quick. After doing some research on the topic, I have found that the vacuum drying PROCESS to make these extracts, makes them prone to break down. The sure tale signs are off flavor (that "home brew" taste), and even more easily spotted.. the large bubbles for a head, instead of that nice frothy one we all look for. With all grain, this does not happen. I had a 2 yr old, all grain brown ale last week.. OUTSTANDING, like it was brewed last month. All grain does not break down. If it does, it's super slow, and fairly undetectable.

Last week, we did a taste test. We we have some of our top notch rye ipa in both kegs and bottles. Poured a bottle into a glass, and drew a pint from the keg. The aroma from the bottle totally blew away the kegged pint. Flavor from the bottle was "softer" or more smooth. This was undeniable. Beer/ale conditions much better in glass. It's a fact.

one other bit of advice, we only use the Coopers clear bottling drops. We got away from adding a bag of corn sugar. The idea that you have the perfect, even amount in each bottle, is always best. They're clear (like a halls cough drop) dissolve nicely and leave no residue.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #12
QuercusMax
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I don't know that it's extract vs non-extract related as far as aging and fine bubbles. Three of my recent beers have been this way after 6 weeks in the bottle - 2 all grain and the other a partial mash. Two things I did differently were using whirlfloc 5 minutes from end of the boil, and straining the wort before putting it in my fermenter. Both of these led to much clearer beer with less sediment. I think if you do that with an extract batch it will work just as well.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:54 AM   #13
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuercusMax View Post
I don't know that it's extract vs non-extract related as far as aging and fine bubbles. Three of my recent beers have been this way after 6 weeks in the bottle - 2 all grain and the other a partial mash. Two things I did differently were using whirlfloc 5 minutes from end of the boil, and straining the wort before putting it in my fermenter. Both of these led to much clearer beer with less sediment. I think if you do that with an extract batch it will work just as well.
You are correct, it does work just as well. Although I use whirlfloc 15 min before flame out.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

Quick Reply