Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > bottle color

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2006, 04:04 AM   #11
casebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Since it's actually blue/green visible light that skunks the beer, florescents might be even worse than sun light...

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2006, 01:01 PM   #12
PATECO
Recipes 

I bottled in corona bottles for several years before I switched to kegs. they worked just fine and were easier to clean since they had no paper lables on them. Just make sure to keep them in a dark place in a box. I left some out for a while once and they skunked really quick.

~~~~~~Life is a Beach~~~~~~~

Old 03-10-2006, 08:05 AM   #13
weberju
Recipes 

I use brown bottles for nearly all of my bottling, but I like to use a couple clear bottles (usually newcastle) in each batch, just to monitor the bottle conditioning stage. It works really nicely.

Old 03-10-2006, 03:43 PM   #14
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
All beer here will sit in the cooler at the store for at least a few days under the lights before I can buy it, so by the time I get it, it's skunked.
And you wonder why they were skunked? It's not so much the bottle as it is the time exposed to the light, brown bottles just lengthen that time. Keep your beer in the dark and it wont matter. If ya think about it brown bottles are for the lazy or stupid who cant figure this out.

DISCLAIMER
I too use brown bottles so I'm not saying people who do are lazy or stupid. I also use clear bottles. Hell I use what ever I can get from the beer store for $1.20 a case. No matter what I use I keep all my beer in a case, in the dark cornor of the basement

Old 03-10-2006, 04:24 PM   #15
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

One way to avoid light contamination of commercial beers is to buy by the case rather than by six packs. This way, light is never an issue.

Quick Reply