Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottle carbing above 80F

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
RodfatherX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bottle carbing above 80F

I have seen several post on here lately about bottle carbing. Everyone seems to say place it in the warmest place in your house. Well I have a closet that connects to the attic. I was measuring the temp in it yesterday and at about 12:30pm it was about 85F. Is this too hot to carb in? If I were to carb at these temps, would I get any off flavors from it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2008, 11:24 PM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

OK, selecting "the warmest place in the house"...is a usual seasonal (summer vs winter) or geographic (Wisconsin vs New Mexico) reply...

I have to say right off the bat that 85F is definitely TOO WARM.

The "normal" bottle conditioning temp would be about 70F for about 2-3 weeks...close to your fermenting temp.

Check one bottle in about a week. Open and pour. Note how carbonated it is/isn't. Note the head. Is it frothy and lingers or subsides fast? If you're like the rest of us you'll be looking for thick and frothy along with sparkly bubbles.

If it's not to your liking (yet) then let it sit a few more days to a week and sample another bottle.

Once it is where you like it it's time to take ALL the bottles and put them in the fridge to get cold. The cold will retard any further carbonation process.

For best results keep them cold for AT LEAST overnight. 3-7 days is much better. Actually, the beer will probably taste BEST after 2-3 weeks in the cold. It really depends on the brew style.

Good luck...now GO BREW SOMETHING!!!

Old 06-18-2008, 11:27 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post
OK, selecting "the warmest place in the house"...is a usual seasonal (summer vs winter) or geographic (Wisconsin vs New Mexico) reply...

I have to say right off the bat that 85F is definitely TOO WARM.

The "normal" bottle conditioning temp would be about 70F for about 2-3 weeks...close to your fermenting temp.

Check one bottle in about a week. Open and pour. Note how carbonated it is/isn't. Note the head. Is it frothy and lingers or subsides fast? If you're like the rest of us you'll be looking for thick and frothy along with sparkly bubbles.

If it's not to your liking (yet) then let it sit a few more days to a week and sample another bottle.

Once it is where you like it it's time to take ALL the bottles and put them in the fridge to get cold. The cold will retard any further carbonation process.

For best results keep them cold for AT LEAST overnight. 3-7 days is much better. Actually, the beer will probably taste BEST after 2-3 weeks in the cold. It really depends on the brew style.

Good luck...now GO BREW SOMETHING!!!
What He Said!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply