Bottle cap issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siucubfan

Reaction score
I have ran into an issue. I am about to bottle and Amber Ale. I have got all my equipment and started sanitizing. When I got my bottle caps out to sanitize I seen that around the edges on some of the caps there is some light rust and rust ring on the ziplock bag.

The last time I bottled I just dumped the whole bag into some starsan to sanitize. I pat dried the ones not used and put them in a ziplock bag, I didn't realize that they would rust or wouldn't have soaked bag and would have made sure to dry more carefully.

2 questions. If sanitized again can these be used? I would think so but not sure. And 2nd, I don't have any other caps and my not so LHBS is 2 hours away and closed and I would be able to get there until late this week. Is there any place that sells bottle caps besides a LHBS?

Thanks for any help!

When sealed to the bottles the only thing that would touch the beer, would be the plastic gasket thing that's inside the cap. So as long as the rust has not leached on to that I would just sanitize and cap as normal. Keep your beer upright to ensure liquid touches cap as little as possible. Seen you posted this a while ago did you bottle already, how did it go?

Didn't bottle. Talked to another homebrewer who has some that I'm going to be able to get tomorrow. So I will just bottle tomorrow! Just another reason why I should invest in kegging.

Back