Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottle Bomb Fear-Head in sealed bottle of beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2011, 12:14 AM   #1
KilhavenBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottle Bomb Fear-Head in sealed bottle of beer

I bottled a Barley Wine just over 2 weeks ago. a couple of the bottles of beer are forming head while still sealed in the bottle. I did not shake them or vibrate them. I used the formula for priming sugar. The yeast was Abble Ale II by Wyeast and I had it in the 2ndary for over a month before bottling.

Is this going to be a bottle bomb problem? Anyone ever see head form and bubbles coming up while still sealed in the bottle?

The barley wine came out to 9% ABV after I fermented for 3 weeks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 12:21 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4635 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Not necessarily, although I've never seen it happen. I assume you have some bottle krausen going on.

What was the FG and how much priming sugar did you use?

Old 04-28-2011, 01:53 AM   #3
KilhavenBrew
Recipes 

FG was 1.021 and used recommended amount of Priming sugar based on .92 cups per 5 gallons of beer to bottle.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:04 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4635 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilhavenBrew View Post
FG was 1.021 and used recommended amount of Priming sugar based on .92 cups per 5 gallons of beer to bottle.
Wow- that's a LOT of priming sugar. Are you sure it was supposed to be that much?

Old 04-28-2011, 02:05 AM   #5
janivar123
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

for some reason i always carbonate in buckets with a heavy blanket on top...
This is the entire batch not a bottle with a leaky cap?

Old 04-28-2011, 04:11 AM   #6
KilhavenBrew
Recipes 

Could be leaky cap. Cause it seems like only a few of the bottles. What gives on the leaky caps? That is lame. Quality of caps stink? Or just the way I pushed them on?

Old 04-28-2011, 04:14 AM   #7
KilhavenBrew
Recipes 

That brings up my next question. I bought cases on corona so that I would have bottles to put beer in after I drink them. (I know it is not good beer, but I had a party and they drank them all anyway). The caps on these bottles seem to hardly press on the sides down. But other bottles like Samuel Adams leftover bottles, have the caps press all around. Is there a better capping tool? Or is it just that Corona bottles are no good for home brew?

Old 04-28-2011, 05:03 AM   #8
chapa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Corona bottles are no good, not sure about how they cap, but you definitely dont want to bottle in a clear bottle. It'll skunk your beer, and turn your homebrew into a corona! :-)

Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale

Old 04-28-2011, 07:00 AM   #9
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3227 Times on 3128 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Where'd you get the advice for almost a cup of priming sugar for 5 gal? There are two things about this that strike me as odd. First, it's a volume rather than a weight which is highly variable and innaccurate. Second, it seems like way more than needed. Barleywines are typically lightly carbonated, usually around 2 volumes. Even the old school suggestions to measure priming sugar by volume say to use 2/3 of a cup, and often end up in overbcarbed beer. From now on I suggest measuring your priming sugar by weight. Here's a handy calculator to determine the proper amount of priming sugar to use for a desired carbonation level. I agree with yooper that it's likely bottle krausening from so much priming sugar. It takes a lot to create bottle bombs, but you may be testing the limits of your bottles.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #10
KilhavenBrew
Recipes 

Well usually they say .75 Cups of priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch. But when you transfer into a 2ndary you lost some beer. Then you transfer again to bottle and lose some more. SO if you have 4 gallons left and you use .75 cups of priming sugar. Do the math. 4 gallons times 1.25 is 5 gallons. And .75 cups * 1.25 is .93 of a cup.

So based on that, I use .93 cups of priming sugar for 5 gallons of beer left. I brew my beer in 6 gallon batches and lose about a gallon in transfers.

Quick Reply