Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottle-agnostic swingtops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2013, 03:22 AM   #1
FatDragon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Default Bottle-agnostic swingtops

http://trade.taobao.com/trade/detail...42259557347260

The link is there mostly for the pictures. I bought a dozen of them as a trial run.

Basically, there's a stainless steel O-ring that tightens around the bottle neck with a screw and nut, and the swingtop cage locks into that ring. With the round-capped OEM nuts, I can't tighten them enough to bottle carb (the ring slips up around the first ridge on the neck), but I'll be replacing them with open-ended nuts in a day or two.

Does anybody have any experience with these? If they can't carb, I'll keep them around for things like rice wine and oils and sauces in the kitchen, which don't need pressure-rated seals, but I'm hoping they'll be capable of bottle carbonation. If they work out, it's a lot cheaper than buying swingtop bottles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2013, 02:59 AM   #2
Gar
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Wow thats neat ive often wondered if such a thing was out there. i guess that answers that. keep us informed on how the new nuts work

Old 11-04-2013, 03:42 AM   #3
neo71665
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Interesting, watching for out come.

Wonder if there is a source closer to home for me.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:21 AM   #4
FatDragon
Recipes 

A couple days ago I harvested a batch of very moldy rice wine. Getting mold on the rice is not uncommon as there are molds (some beneficial) in a lot of rice wine yeasts, but that batch was cut above (I think it had started to develop intelligent life). I bottled it in one of these bottles, still only loosely-fastened with the capped nuts, and swing the top closed. In the morning, after roughly 12 hours, it was so heavily-pressurized that the liquid was in the shape of a dome in the neck. When I popped it open to avoid bombing, I got rice wine everywhere. Incidentally, although it smelled good at harvest time, the wine stank out of the bottle and I ended up dumping it. Still, that's proof that, even loosely-fastened, these swingtops can hold pressure in the short term.

The same afternoon my replacement nuts came in the mail. Fully-tightened with the grenade-pin ring acting as a 1-2mm spacer, the o-ring still moves a little ways up the ridge on the neck when capped, but not as much as before, meaning I get a tighter seal.

I'll be bottling a stout at a modest carbonation level this coming weekend and I'll try one or two of these on some Stone longnecks, some local Snow half-liters, and some local 250mL soda bottles and see what we get. Unfortunately, that means we're 3-4 weeks from any good results, but that's how we roll in this hobby - patience is the name of the game.

I imagine these are probably available from one of the US-friendly AliBaba (Taobao) portals, if not locally in the US somewhere. The issue, if they're out there, is finding them; I'm not really certain what a seller would call these in English, maybe "DIY Swingtop" or something like that.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:33 AM   #5
Larso
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Check out bottom of page
https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/in...word=Swing+top
Also check out brouwland.de I'd expect they have them

Old 11-04-2013, 05:26 AM   #6
FatDragon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larso View Post
Check out bottom of page
Yeah, that's a different take on the idea. Clearly those DIY swingtops would have to be tested separately from what I'm using, since they're formed differently and may be either more- or less-reliable, but there's a good chance those bands+replacement cages and stoppers would get the job done.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
Gar
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larso View Post
Check out bottom of page
Those look weak to me. pushing a metal strip through then folding back over and being such a soft metal. i could be wrong. has anyone tried them? Dragon what are the one you use made of?

Old 11-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
MrFoodScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've seen at a not-so-local LHBS where I can get replacement swing tops, so I've thought of drilling holes in the sides of an oetiker clamp and doing something along these lines, but I haven't tested it yet. I don't have a clamp tool and I would be afraid of clamping too tightly.

Find Recipes on my blog: The Homemade Soda Expert I'd love some feedback!
Now Available from Quarry Books -- Making Soda at Home: Mastering the Craft of Carbonation
Like on Facebook!, Follow on Twitter, Add to Goodreads

Old 11-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
neo71665
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gar View Post
Those look weak to me. pushing a metal strip through then folding back over and being such a soft metal. i could be wrong. has anyone tried them? Dragon what are the one you use made of?

Can't talk much since I don't know the type of metal but I've seen clamps like that in industrial apps stand up to way more pressure than a beer bottle.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:22 PM   #10
FatDragon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gar View Post
The ring is sheet metal - I believe the shop page says it's stainless but the materials list doesn't specify which listed material is for which part.

The thing that makes them hold up to pressure and hold on to the cages so well is that the holes that hold the cages are raised off the neck of the bottle. I'm afraid I don't have much engineering experience so I don't know a better way to explain it - the photos show it, but not in very great detail. I would be willing to say it doubles the resistance to pressure and increases the security of the bottle cage staying in the ring/band by a factor of ten or more.

Quick Reply